Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Career Advice

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Trisha14, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Hi everyone

(Warning: if you don't like off topic posts then don't read this!)

Just after a little career advice - I'm not sure what direction to go in.

Recently I've qualified as a Chartered Accountant, so I can pretty much go in any direction I like. But essentially I can narrow it down to three main choices.

1. At the moment I work for a small public practice firm. They've been great and without them I certainly wouldn't have the knowledge and experience that I do now. However if I want to progress much further here, then its really to buy into the business and I really don't know that I'm much of a risk taker. Plus then it also means being tied to the one company for a long period.

2. Go work for a larger public firm and make it to a manager status.

3. Go into commerce and work for a single company. Generally commerce will pay better than public practice and there's also the chance of company cars etc.

What are peoples thoughts?? Any other accountants out there??

2. how can you be an accountant and ride.....

i have seen the ad's on tv, and you guys don't look like the riding type :S

In answer to your question, money doesn't buy happiness, but geez it helps ;)

Only you know what style of work you enjoy, best of luck in your decisions
  3. Accounting sounds like an easy enough job...

a-one, a-two, a-three...

/Hides head in hands under hail of rotten tomatoes.
  4. Hi Trisha,

I am not an accountant but work with quite a few in a very large telecommunications company and none of them are doing accounting as such.

The people I work with are using their analytical skills for pricing, sales and marketing roles. They have also taken on extra courses in people management skills and I think that these people will be the senior managers of the future.

If you can combine analytical skills with people management skills you could work in any area of business.

Find a company that interests you, I love telecomunications so I enjoy my work. Oh find a good boss you can learn from, anyway thats my 2c

HAVE FUN :grin:
  5. number 4, choose 4! :grin: :p
  6. I have a mate who's an accountant and rides (OK it's a Fat Boy :? but he rides hard and recently did a 5,000 k trip on it )

He hasn't worked as an accountant for a long time. He's had a mixed careeer, as an academic, in private enterprise, and in the public service and has moved between them frequently over the past 35 years. These days he's an extremely senior public servant in Canberra.

Accountancy - like most qualifications - can lead into all sorts of areas. Look at what your SKILLS are (not your qualifications :LOL: ) and then look to see what jobs are around that match your skills. You'll find there's a lot more available to you than you realise.

(who is - with difficulty - restraining himself from posting accountant jokes :LOL: )
  7. I certainly don't fit the stereotypical accountant mould :wink:
  8. I doubt ur gunna get any serious career advise off a bike forum but good luck. And I agree with stewy, the decision must be your's. If you're really serious about this then you're better off seeking professional advise. Some psychology practises offer career advise.
  9. But money can buy motorbike, and Motorbike = Happiness. Hence money CAN buy happiness :dance:
  10. Option 3 Trish

Find a place that values you and your skills. It's no risk, perhaps a little dull, but it's great being appreciated.
  11. Thanks hornet... the more I think about it the more I think its the right choice. Just a matter of finding the right company now I guess.
  12. Trish,

i reckon if you went with option 3, in 5 years time you'd be bored sh*tless. You'd still be working for someone and have no real control over what you do day to day.

i reckon there is more money but importantly more satisfaction in either having your own practice or buying into your current one as a partmer. that way YOU control what you do and YOU are in charge of where you end up.

Yes, there is an increased risk in taking this approach, but no doubt you can utilise your current skills to analyse the business to determine its strength and obviously if the sums dont add up then you'd look for another firm to join.

you dont make it big by being employed. i'd want to be a partner and be the one making the choices.