Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Carby Tunes, how much can the results vary?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by GreenNinja, Dec 12, 2006.

1. hi,

i've just recently purchased my bike and had oil changed (done myself).

and now attempting to change my sparkies too and i heard dat if u get ur carby tuned they dont charge for the spark plug change and i said why not.

i called up like.... 10 places and the prices vary alot, what my question is HOW DO THE RESULTS VARY from place to place and also from lower to higher prices?

2. And how long shoud it take? lets say ur bike was going good but not at its best, wats the minimum time they should take?
  3. Ok, the variation in price may be because you didn't ask the right question.

"Carbie tune" can mean anything from an idle mixture setting, to a balance, throught to a rejet.

Is the bike standard? Does it have an aftermarket pipe? does it have a different air filter? Has it been tuned before? Has it been touched since it come off the boat?

I'd bet that the cheaper quotes are just going to do a balance and maybe idle mixture. the bike will feel better, but won't be at it's best. Also on a bike this old the cheaper quotes may be counting on extra work.

"we pulled the top off the carbies and the diaphrams are cactus. You'll have to get those replace".

Still it's not good to go with the dearest just because they might be the best.

find out exactly what you will get forthe price and go for the one who fills you with the most confidence.

BTW, I'm in Prestons and have a set of vacuum gauges. I may be able to help you out with a bit of a spanner day, but I'm pretty busy in the lead up to christmas. PM me if you are interested.
  4. thank you for dat "ibast", and i thought a carby tune was straight forward. it has got a after market exhuast and no other modifications.

there was one place in Granville dat was good, asked me heapz of questions about the bike (forgot the name) and seemed to know wat they were talking about.

i don't think my bike is running dat bad, doesn't misfire or anyfing and no black smoke.

so i mite post-phone the carby tunes and use the money to buy riding gear.

and ur offer for the spanner day, i'm pretty busy though during the x mas break too but thank you again.

cheers and have a happy christmas :)
  5. after every carb tune, my bike is a physco beast for a good month. i get my carbs tuned every 5000kms and shit yea its a big diff. prices vary from 88-150. i get mine done at boltons kawasaki for 88 dollars and they do a good job. sometimes they do it better depending on the bloke that is tuning my bike.
    I am going to buy the tool kit to do it myself coz it really isnt hard to balance it. should take 1hr max
  6. Every 5000km! It goes out of tune that quick? I'd definitely be trying to fix it myself if that was the case - I wouldn't wanna fork out that much $$$ on tuning every year!
  7. a mate his got the mercury fingy wat ever dats called and said that he'll tune it for me.

his tuned his R1 and said wen he took it on the track it wasn't running well in the high range. his goin to retune it soon.

i'm a bit hesitate......... sud i be? (den again he is doin it for free)
  8. Carbs arent complicated things, but they can be fiddly. It's easy enough to get it 90% right, but that last 10% is usually what you pay a good experienced mechanic to do.
    If your feeling game id recommend having an experienced mate with you and doing a full tear down, a thorough clean, inspect the needles and emulsion tubes for wear & tear, then reassemble, set the idles and balance across the rev range.
  9. Michael man you're more game than me, I haven't bothered with any mechanical stuff yet lol. Although mine isn't as elderly :p

I think I'll have a go at my carbies with dad after new years.
  10. yeah his planning to take the carbie apart, clean and reject the whole fing. change the sparkies and coolant while the fingz apart too.
  11. As a part of any carby tune..the first thing to check is the float levels. If they are not within specs then they must be dismantled and adjusted. After that, idle mixture and then balance the carbs. Balancing needs to be done at an idle.....and at higher revs, to make sure your not running on the idle jet..say half max.

For multi cylinder bikes..inspect the spark plugs after removal. The colour of the plugs will give an indication of being rich or lean, or somewhere in between.
  12. i take mine to mmt at granvile. Usaly for tyre change/carbie tune. I think im gunna google how to tune my carbs at its one of two things on my bike i have been to lazy to do myself.
  13. We chould have a carby clean/tune event.

They aren't as scary as they look, and doing it yourself should only take a day and cost you a few bucks in O rings and carby cleaner, and it makes a world of difference on the bike.

14. I tried balancing the carbs on my '95 VFR, but found it impossible to get the balance screws. Does anyone have any idea how you do that? I eventually just gave it to Honda to do it for me and now the bike runs sweet, but eventually I want to do my own tuning.

15. The balance screws will be attached the the linkages between the carbs.
  16. No, I know where they are, but how do you reach the blasted things? Is there a special tool or something?
  17. Haha! Ask LordTB about this one! No really, it might be worth shooting him a PM about it.
    As far as i remember yes there is a special tool that Honda specify to do the job. If i recall it's like a really long (~25cm) flexible screwdriver. I had a theory whilst working on a VFR750 changing the rear brake rotor; that the Honda engineers had run out of things to do and to design and they were going to be laid off for a few months once they'd finished designing the VFR750... so they spent a few extra months redesigning and refining everything on the bike to the point where is was so complicated to do anything it required a full service manual written by the engineers themselves! It's Honda's most hilarious over-engineered joke. :LOL:

(Not that i'm saying anything bad about the bike, they're lovely... just horrible to work on).
  18. Peter Stevens have a right angle drive screw driver for around the $50 mark that will do the job just fine.
    If you're feeling particularly wealthy there is a real nice bevel drive scewdriver set complete with extentions & adapters to take sockets etc -for $150
    Gotta agree with Koma, the VFR's are an absolute carnt to work on -and thats putting it nicely :LOL: Well the carbies & valve gear anyway with the engine in the bike
  19. Figured out you can slide a long screwdrive in with the fairing off through the frame to get at the screws. Thanks for all the advice!

R3D L1NE