Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Carby service;how much should it cost?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by littleal, Jun 30, 2008.

1. My 1992 el 250 is having a fuel problem.
    water in fuel?
    float level out?
    leaking fuel yes -why?
    garbage in carbys?
    The bike has69.000 klms on it.
    i have had 1 service done on the bike since i've had it,the carbys were supposed to have been serviced,but by looking at the carbys there is that much build up on the outside of them i doubt very much they were even looked at!!
    As iam booked in for my p's course on th 11 july, i have to get it right!!!!!
    So the question is how much(ballpark figure)should it cost to get this problem fixed?????????????????????????????????

thank you in advance
    littleal

2. You forgot to tell us what the problem is.

It's very hard to advise what a solution might cost.

Give us symptoms, not possibilities, please. ;-)

Cheers

Trevor G

3. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    ooopss sorry,
    it is behaving like it could have water in fuel;yesterday arvo went to start it (it usually starts first go with the choke of course)had to sit there and play with throttle to get it to start,when it did start it sounded like it was running on 1 pot ,but it was only running on 1 carb,like compelty out of synch,any way it cleared(like garabge in the carbys)got home & got some metho & put some in about 200ml.
    Sometimes when i go start it in the arvo to go home from work,start it in the off position(fuel tap)& when i turn the tap to on,it stars to want to die ,so garb the throttle & start playing with that ,then i notice fuel leaking out of somewhere dripping onto the ground(float levels).
    sorry about confusion
    cheers little al :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

4. probably varies from mechanic to mechanic but mine cost around $300 a few years back. similar problem to yours. the petrol is probably coming out an overflow hose thingy? do you have a petrol filter?

5. I'm booked in for a carby tune/balance tomorrow so will let you know!
    -Alex

6. You could have dirt in the fuel. Have you ever had water in the fuel to know what it is like?

Anyway, you could do the first part of the service yourself, and save some cash.

Undo the drain screw for each carb and let any muck drain out (preferably into a clean container so you can see what was in there).. Then remove the fuel line from a carb and let fuel run out of that into a clean container.

Both lots of fuel should be absolutely clear and clean, with no sign of rust, moisture (looks like little globs of something) or any other rubbish. The carb bowl drain might be all you need to get going again, but you might also have contamination in the tank - that's why you check what comes out of the fuel line itself.

The floats won't close the needle valves properly if there is some obstruction, usually rust or rubbish which has made it past the fuel strainer.

The needles and seats could also be worn, but that doesn't usually occur before 50,000 km.

All the best

Trevor G

7. hi folks,bike is going in today for service,pull carbys off clean ,re synch,general check over.
    they are coming to my workplace to p/up bike ride it back to workshop do there thing & ride it back to my workplace, ALL FOR $$250.00.
    i will post the findings. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

cheers little al

8. Hi all,
    Bike is back home,THE CAUSE;CARBYs WERE FULL OF CRAP!!!!!!
    COST $180.00.
    PICKED UP & DELIVERED.
    its now a joy to ride again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    cheers little al :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

9. ...oops forgotten I'd added my 2c to this post.
    After recommendations from mate and good feedback here took it into Redwing Honda (Heidelberg, VIC). Spoke to Mat. Nice guy, always made time to talk to me, even on the phone. Good service there.
    Picked up the bike last Saturday morning (good that they're open weekend mornings to pickup bikes...).
    $110 carby tune/balance. The guy that actually worked on it coincidentally was there and we had a chat. He only had good things to say about the bike which is always good...although said it was too loud (staintune will do that!) :grin: Thought the price was pretty good (was pretty much what Mat 'quoted' around $100 he said), have noticed an improvement also. Was never really bad to begin with, sometimes would hold revs a little, felt like a slight vacuum problem maybe. Mech said was running a little lean and balance was a little bit out that was all. Also put in some carb cleaning additive no charge.
    Overall experience 10/10 for Redwing Honda will be going back there.
    -Alex