Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Carby on a single pot dirt bike

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by lord nykon, Nov 24, 2006.

1. I recently picked up my kx60 from my gran parents place after it had been sitting for 4-5 years and I have tried to get it running I have succeeded for the most part there wasn’t to much wrong with it pritty much a fuel change and new transition fluid was all it needed but I haven’t been able to get it to run properly because the carby is just spewing out fuel I can get it started and moving at low speed but I have to hold it flat out then after a minute it floods totally,
    Ive pulled the carby apart (multiple times :’( trying to fix it) and cleaned it and made sure every thing was moving.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If not im going to take it to a mechanic Monday.
    But ide rather not waste the money because it could be better spent on rego and a new back tire for my baby (cbr)
  2. Sounds like you need to buy a carburettor kit. Make sure it includes a new needle and seat for the float bowl. It sounds to me like your needle and seat are stuck open.
    Some wil say to just clean and reuse the needle and seat, I prefer to replace them, they can be pitted or worn.
    rebuild the carb, cleaning everything metal with lacquer thinners or carb cleaner (a good soak and set aside parts works well) and blow everything out with clean compressed air.
    I'd also put a fuel filter inline for the carb.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Good advice, but if that fails...also check your float - mine had a small crack and don't bother trying to solder - works for a short time only. Carbs are often interchangeable on those bikes - good wrecker should be able to also help you out
  4. how did it go?