Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Carbon fibre parts

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by barts, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Hi guys, I wondering if someone could help me with something?

I just bought a '96 RS250 (still on restrictions) and I thought I might jazz her up a little with a carbon fibre fender and hugger. Anyway, I've been looking around the net and found Tyga Performance does some, and also Geelong Carbon Craft does as well.

I guess my questions is what's the difference? Are carbon fibre parts the same/similar finish? for example;

Bcomponents - Tyga brand fender @ $181.00

GCC - GCC brand fender @ $475.00

And if you go to the Tyga site itself, there's a similar difference on the huggers as well.

If the Tyga stuff was average but the GCC stuff was ace then I'd probably spend the extra $$$'s to get her looking good, but because they are taken in different light with different camera's it's kinda hard to tell from the pics on the site - so I oped someone here might have the relevant experience?

Any help would be appreciated!!

2. From my experience (and thats not too much), you can get fairly varied quality products with carbon fibre. You can also get really cheap carbon fibre coated plastic products (whats the point?).

Saying that, i've heard good things about tyga parts so I would recomend them over the more expensive GCC especially for a fender which is going to get crap all over it anyway. With any other carbon fibre stuff like farings and seat cowls, you would also have to consider the fit, which could be a lot better on a more expensive product.

Hope this helps.
  3. GCC wants 400 bucks for a rear hugger....

Tyga want 44 pound which works out to $105 AUD.

BOTH made from CF...

Not 100% sure on the shipping charge on the Tyga one, but a price i got from a UK based site for 2 sprokets and chain (heavier than a hugger, but smaller package) was 30 pound.

Id be going with the Tyga gear. $295 will buy you a helluva lot of shipping... Sounds like GCC is a stooge to me
  4. A can of worms.....

I bought a CF hugger for my gsxr750 for $208 aud delivered from the states off ebay.....

A hugger to suit my bike from GCC was $480 + postage (from memory)......

The quality of the carbon on the hugger i bought is very nice in my opinion but it is a little crooked in the centre of the tyre. Ive spoken to a few people who have bought GCC stuff and they have all agreed that the quality of the carbon is good but fitment can vary. But this can be said about everything ive read about CF on a lot of forums.

Some people have good experiences others dont. But i wouldnt necessary consider spending double to get double the quality.

Another thing to note is that CF comes in a variety of different styles and if you're going to have a lot of it on your bike you may want to stick to the one company to (hopefully) get a matching style
  5. Carbon fibre comes in many different weaves and thicknesses, measured in gsm or grams per square metre (I assume).

Carbon twill which is designed to flex through curved and undulated sections is a little dearer than normal cloth which is just a plain weave.

The aesthetic differences are minimal. Whilst the strength will vary according to how many layers are laid up.

Generally you want 7-10 layers for a strong as steel application but maybe 2-4 for something like a cover.

Also you have different resins which again affect the strength, such as epoxy resin which is stronger and more expensive or polyester which is the cheaper alternative.

In the end it may just be that GCC have less buying power and cannot afford to purchase CF in as much quantity as maybe Tyga Performance can and hence can't pass on the savings. Then again maybe Tyga use only half the layers?

However, If you were the kind of person who wanted VALUE for money I'd spend maybe 2 weeks to make it myself. Its not that difficult and once you get the experience you can make every single thing out of CF. Fairings, tank protectors, you name it.. Plus you can always admire your hard work when you go to ride.

Carbon Fibre is about $95 per square metre and will easily do the front and back tyre huggers.

Polyester resin is about $30 and mould release wax is about $25.

Clear Gelcoat is about $30 as well.

You can make a mould over the old parts using fibre glass which is around $7 /sqm. Using the same resins and wax.
  6. basically, you get what you pay for when it comes to carbon fibre.

the amount of carbon layers does not necessarily determine the strength. the idea of carbon composite products is to get the greatest strength with minimal weight, although it seems some manufacturers are forgetting this.

GCC is a well known company, but i am unsure of "their" fabrication process.
    sure you can take a mould and fabricate your products, but it will be no better than fibreglass.

for a real carbon fibre composit product,
    basically you make your fire retardent mould,
    baste in your release agent,
    then resin,
    lay your carbon material sheets,
    resin again,
    put the mould in the industry approved / fire retardent vacuum bag,
    suck the air out to impregnate the resin into the the carbon sheets,
    then place the evacuated bag (with the product still inside) into your Composite Auto Clave which bakes your creation at over 800degrees C while maintaining a constant atmosphere of a couple of hundred PSI to compress it.

when the oven goes "ding" you have yourself a product ready for aviation, motogp or F1. only a couple of layers of carbon to minimise weight, baked at the correct temp and compressed to create a product that is as stong, if not stronger than steel

create the mould,
    add release agent,
    paint on the resin,
    lay multiple layers of carbon sheets,
    resin again,
    add other side of mould,
    vacuum bag,
    let dry, remove product and buff.

i havn't seen any products from TYGA, but i'd presume they'd use the regular fibreglass composite (8) procedure.

like i said, im not sure what procedure Geelong Carbon Craft use, but i'd say it would be pretty close to the (A) procedure, hence the price

hope this clears up any questions in regards to different qualities of carbon products.

7. Interesting. Must have experience in the composites industry?
  8. old man used to fabricate components for aviation purposes