Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Carbon build up and header gasket

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Climbatize, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Hey guys I want to take off my headers and flush out all the carbon that has built up over the years.. and ideas what product would be best? Household products?

Also, is the gasket OK to reuse if i take the headers off?

2. should replace the gasket as they are meant to compress as you tighten the bolts making a seal

why not run some fuel additive in it?
  3. If you've got enough carbon build up in the headers of a four stroke to need cleaning out, something is badly wrong. If it's a two-stroke, you need to thrash it more :wink: .

For carbon removal, the traditional technique is to plug one end of the pipe or muffler and pour in a strong solution of caustic soda (sold as drain cleaner in Bunnings etc), leave to soak and then rinse out.

Two cautions.

1) do not do this if there is any aluminium in your exhaust system as it will dissolve before your very eyes.

2) Caustic soda is dodgy as hell, particularly in the concentrations needed to clear out an exhaust. I personally wouldn't muck about with it in such strengths and quantities without goggles, faceshield, elbow length rubber gloves and immediate access to running water. Get it in your eyes and you will go blind. For good.
  4. it'll work though. old plumbers trick.
    when done with it you need to dispose of properly also.
    rinse them very very well after and dont f_ck around with that stuff.