Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

carbi cleaning

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by loader, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Hi Guys,
    I've just discovered that the NX650 I recently purchased has been operating without the stock fuel seive screen, or any fuel filter at all! I think this is why the idle was cranked up to keep the bike running as it fed itself dirty fuel.
    Anyway $4 later she now has a new inline fuel filter and has had the idle reduced to 1700rpm (ideally supposed to be 1200rpm).
    She's running better but still rough and stalls frequently, I suspect the carbi jets will be blocked up with crud.

Anyway my question is- do I have to disassemble the carbi to clean it out or is there a fuel additive or other product that I could use to try and clean the jets.

I don't want to disassemble the carbi if I don't have too as I've had bad experiences with them in the past :roll:
    Any advice would be great

2. Just pull the carb out, remove the needle and all the hoses and spray into it with carb cleaner. Not as good as a full disassembly but close enough.
  3. You can buy aerosol carby cleaner from most auto places which you just spray down the air intake of the carbs. Works well for removing old fuel deposits etc. but serious gunk might require dismantling the carbs.
  4. Youv'e only got the one carbie, so relax.

It'll probable be the idle jet, which are tiny on Jap carbies.

It could also be the idle mixture screw.

Screw it in first to see how many turns out it is at the moment and write it down. That way you can reinstall it back in the same position.

Spray heaps of carbie cleaner around and put it all back together.

when you've only got one you don't have to worry about balancing and if anything is rooted then you only have to buy one of them.
  5. If you've just got a single carbie, you could probably disconnect the throttle cables etc, then spin it round and pull the float bowl off (careful of the gasket). clean all the gunk out of it and pop it back on.

You might also want to clean the pilot jet as ibast suggested. It'd probably be worth retuning this, as if it's been fiddled with to get it idling ok, it'll most likely be out.

Standard way to tune it is to screw all the way in, then out two complete turns. After you've done that, make sure your idle stop is sufficient to let the bike start, then start it and warm it up. Once warm, counting turns, go all the way out till it stutters, then all the way in till it stutters, and set it to half way.

6. :grin:
    Carbi is now a clean mean idling machine!!!!
    There was a lot of varnish and gunk inside, the choke valve was blocked with all sorts of unmentionable crap. The pilot jet had a lot of varnish bulid up which I scraped out ever so carefully!
    1 can of carbi cleaner later and a few minutes spent searching the floor for an escaped needle valve she's running as good as new! :wink:
    Cheers for the help!!!