Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Carb boot cracks - temp. fix?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mattb, Mar 21, 2011.

1. G'day All.

Not really a fix, but a temporary 'just in case' while I order new ones.

The carb boots / manifold / rubber intake on the carbs of the XV535 are cracked all around the edge where the hose-clamp tightens. I idled the engine for a couple of minutes till it was stable, then liberally sprayed the cracks with WD40, and there was no change to the idle - so I hope the cracks are external and there's no air leak. I'll order new rubbers this week, but would like to ride the bike on a couple of decent day-rides in the meantime, and am thinking to seal the cracks in some temporary way in case there is a leak. (I'll do plug checks during the ride to check if there's a dangerous leak.) I want to use something cheap and ready to hand - some sort of glue. Any sort you'd recommend? I'm guessing superglue goes too rigid? I've got some shoe glue.... Basically something to fill the cracks and seal things. What do you recommend for a cheap temporary fix?

2. Electrical/duct tape mate!
    Its kept the air intake hose on my celica doing its thing for the last year :D. (mainly because i cant justify spending $400 on a couple of hoses on a car thats just worth 1500ish, and gets flogged as a commuter when its raining (otherwise bike!)).
  3. I have had black "make a gasket" silicon in the tubes on my old XJ900 for about 10 years now and they remain sealed today.

A little $4 tube of silicon and all fixed.
  4. I agree with both the above posters. Shoe glue should also be fine as a temporary external fix. For additional peace of mind, you could back up the repair with a wrap of beer can and a couple of jubilee clips.

In my experience, the outside of elderly carb boots frequently look like thousand year old goat scrotums whist still reaining sealed so you're probably OK. Good luck with getting spares from Yamaha for it.
  5. Will suggest that its ok!
  6. :rofl:

Probably fine for another 100 years, but if you're worried I'd roughen the surface with sandpaper and apply a coat of gasket silicone.
  7. You might want to immobilise the goat first.
  8. :butt:
  9. Petrol dissolves silicone. You may not have problems, but you probably will eventually.
    If you don't believe me, try cleaning silicone off a metal surface with petrol, it shrivels up and dies instantly.
    If they don't leak, leave them well alone.
  10. Yeh, I'm heading out tomorrow, tape in hand just in case, but otherwise I've just ordered a new set of eBay from Germany. $70 posted - I love eBay! (Last time I inquired about boots - for an XS400 - a pair were $240 locally!)
  11. I'm pretty sure I've seen silicone gasket sealants that claim to be petrol resistant.
  12. That's right, bitches. It's science time.
  13. Okay, it must just be my tendency to regard any rubbery gasket sealant more modern than Red Hermetite, Blue Hylomar or Lion Brand as silicone as a sorta generic category.

The answer is, of course, to run your bike on methanol, which silicone will handle very nicely :D.