Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Carb' balancing

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by deafwish, May 16, 2006.

1. Is there an easy way to check if they are properly balanced?
    I'm not certain it was done at the last major 24k km service (not serviced at a Honda dealer).
    Any advice appreciated.
    It's never been easy to ride at low revs and never seems smooth.
    I just put this down to it being a (kind of) sports bike...... :?

2. Without gauges,none that Im aware of,there are indications and telltale signs like plugs fowling or running lean,but I aint a mechanic.
  3. Anyone have the equipment that could possibly check for me.....?
    Is it better to just take it to a mechanics?

It really doesn't pose a problem, just hoping it could be smoother.
    My old VTR250 was 10 times smoother than this..... :?
  4. You need a carb balancing tool. You can either buy a entry level one for ~$130 or just take it to a mechanic.
  5. Thats why their mechanics dude,so you dont have to buy a set of vacuum gauges,pay the cash,give it to the man,they gota eat too :popcorn:
  6. :shock:
    Don't. whatever you do, DON'T give any of your hard earned to those thieving toerags!

Seriously, it's not a particularly hard job to do and worth doing yourself if you've got a bit of mechanical nonce. It's just whether you'd rather spend your dosh on some gauges and 'have a go', or prefer to take the easy route and take it to a garage and get some guarantee that the job is done properly.
    (Personally, I'd rather have a go, but then that's me.)
  7. No brainer.

Off to the mechanics...... :LOL: :wink:
  8. by not smooth do you mean a hesitation as throttle is applied, or a jerky feeling as throttle is applied then rolled off?

i would suggest you try another 600 to see if there's any difference. my cbr600 should have the same engine and feel quite similar.
  9. Good idea, nam.
    Just need to find someone who is wiiling for me to ride their 4 pot 600......
    <wink, wink!> :LOL:
    I think I'll just take it somewhere to be looked at.
  10. Nooooooooooooooooooooo, that's FEMALE thinking. First you need to spend hundreds of dollars on lots of fancy new tools and equipment....

...hang on a minute, you're a girlie aren't you? Far too sensible for a boy.
  11. Ok.
    Just found out that my mechanic did not balance the carbs at the major service (I thought I paid for a mojor service.....?) Anywhoo, Is there any Netrider members who are willing to check this out for me?
    I'm in Mt Waverley and willing to come to you.....With money for beer, of course. :wink:
  12. The main telltale sign that the carbs will need balancing is by an unsteady idle (i.e, revs rising and falling greater than approx. 150 rpm).

If it's idling fine then I wouldn't worry about getting them balanced.
  13. I'm guessing mine might be close to needing a balance then. Sometimes mine does just this. Not noticeably bad or anything, however, if you sit there and watch the tacho it will sometimes mov slightly up and down about 150-200rpm.

I've been wanting to buy the carb balance kit and check it myself anyhow, just to learn/teach myseld alittle more mechanical know-how.
  14. Not all at once, please fellow Netriders! :LOL: :wink:
  15. For those who want to sync their own carbs .. it's not that hard a job ..

Here's a "how to" ..

Some folks make up their own "sync gauges" out of some clear hose and lengths of wood etc. Hmmm, I can't find the page that showed how to "make your own" .. will scour my hard-drive and see if I can find it.

I opted to buy a set of gauges via mail order from Z-Power in Sydney .. reasonably priced, they worked fine.

This is their 2 cyl set ...

This is their 4 cyl set ..

Carbtune make a set that uses "rods" in the gauges rather than needles ..

They'll ship direct from the U.K. no probs at all

I also got a "ColorTune" plug that assists in setting the mixture ...

but I got that off eBay ... cheappppp :grin:

Hope this helps ...
  16. Hey Nightrider,

My zzr does exactly the same thing, i was told by my mechanic that this is normal for ZZR 250s, especially older ones.

Consider yourself lucky that yours only moves 150-200 rpm! mine fluctuactes regularly from 1500 rpm to 1100ish when idling. This has got me thinking too, the ZZR doesnt have a lot of low down grunt for a twin either, should it have more or are they just weak cuz theyre a 250? :wink:

17. I made my own guage for $7. Just some clear tube and a four way joiner from the retic section of the local hardware. Cable tie them all together along a length of wood or alloy and fill with oil. I used transmission oil as it is more sensitive.

Should be a pic of it here. http://hiredgoon.cafe150.com/toys/index.html
  18. There's a few people out there that have vacuum gauges (PM me if you want a name).

90% of the time a garage will hook up a vacuum gauge and it'll be a job of close enough is good enough and they won't bother to touch them. It's a fairly straight forward job to balance carbs, just on some bikes the vacuum hoses are a little difficult to screw into the manifolds (like my FZR1000 which requires a double-jointed midget's assistance).
    Someone who really is a perfectionist (any real home mechanic) will not rest until they're balanced within a few millimetres across the entire rev range. The difference is substantial.

After doing my valve clearances recently i was unhappy with the idle and off idle performance (which ended up not being a carb issue... but no need to give out all my secrets). I took it down to my good ole mate and hooked it up to the vacuum gauges only to find that they were 'within spec'. Not to be deterred, and whilst i had the gauges plugged in and the tank off, a little bit of tweakage saw them spot on across the entire rev range.
  19. I think the downlow issue is mainly just because they are a 250. The ZZR is one bike that suffers bog down really badly if you just let the clutch out too quick and you get that 1-2 sec delay in power. If you learn to ride the clutch just the right amount you will not notice the lack of low down power so much as it'll get the revs up quicker.

If you want to eleviate the low down power issue i say buy a bigger bike!!
  20. I've ridden examples of your bike that have been smooth, so it could be just a tuning issue.

My 9R runs a little rough down low, and no mechanic can fix it. It's just characteristic of the model, apparently. :) Still, can't complain with the top end... :LOL: