Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

caravan A frame mounting

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by wizzardofaus, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Just wondering if anybody has any experiance mounting a small motorbike ,like a postie, across the A frame of a caravan.
    If so, any advice on the subject would be appreciated.

2. Just watch the nose weight. Lots of vans out there are already ridiculously heavy on the hitch and adding a motorbike isn't going to help.

I know a lot of caravan/towing manuals specify 10% on the hitch, but that's a number that was derived when caravans were much lighter than they have now become.
  3. +1.

I've seen quite a few things mounted on a rear bumper bar set up on caravans and campers but Pat's 100% correct about adding weight to the front.

Even loading up the car boot with heavy items can cause handling problems.
  4. I am pretty sure that the downwards force on the towbar should never exceed the car's recommended down load at the towball. The rear bumper mount method may be your best bet.
  5. Many vans (my experience is with Jayco camper vans) have an upper weight limit for rear mounting. Check that first or you risk a)damage the chassis unless additional reinforcing is used, (from a legal perspective that means an engineering certificate in Victoria) or b) changing both the towball downforce and dynamics of the van during towing due to the increased moment of inertia.

Personally I'd work on trying to placing the extra weight on the drawbar close to the van and use a hitch leveller or air springs in the tow vehicle to get the rig level.