Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Car roof peeling - Help?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by L0Ki, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Hi Guys.

My car has a pretty poor roof and had started (in places) to peel of its top coat or protective coat (whatever you want to call it). To stop it going any further i put some touch up paint around the edges where it had began to peel. This has fixed the peeling problem now but i would like to know if there anyway i can can a nice smooth(doesnt have to be perfect, but a bit better than the blobish appearance) finish on the surface and sortof blend it in abit better.

I was thinking of using a buffer but then realised it probably wouldnt be powerful enough for what i wanted so i then thought maybe an angle grinder with a buffer attachment? What sort of polish would i have to use? One with an abrasive in it or something?

Just seeing if anyone can help me out and point me in the right direction for what to do.

Thanks for any help. :grin:

2. I'm ultra far from an expert but sandpaper sounds like the best place to start? eg. 600 grade sandpaper, incrementally going up to 1400+ to get a smooth finish (higher grade = less abrasive).

3. Yeah if it's really bad I'd be starting with wet/dry and working to 1200-1800 grit.
    Otherwise maybe just try using the buffer with some cut+polish compound.

4. I was steering away from sandpaper as i feel it'd be easier to make mistake with and ruin the roof. Plus the roof hasnt got the thickest of coats on it.

I was just looking for maybe someone with a good link to an article on how to do it or some nice easy to follow steps from a proferssional or someone experienced. And yes i did do a google search and found useless information/videos.

Thanks anyways so far.

5. My advice? Ignore it. You will not fix it short of a respray.
    You can sand or buff it, but you'll be buffing colour coats, and it'll just lift up again somewhere else. Once a clearcoat starts to go, it can't be stopped.
    Save some money, get some quotes and get it painted is my advice.

Regards, Andrew.

6. Step one, Remove all surface contaminants
    I wash it down with a degreaser then dry off and wipe down with windex
    This is so you do not seal or sand contaminants into the finish.

Step two, use a cutting polish to remove the oxidized layer of paint.
    This will remove a very fine layer of paint which should leave a smooth, even surface.

Step three, Seal it with wax, A good wax will leave a hard clear shell bonded to the smooth (clean) surface.

This should leave the finish looking like it has a clear coat layer freshly painted on.. If you have not removed the contaminants from the surface or polished the contaminants in then you will continue to have problems.

The reason it is happening is poor prep and the layers of colour were sprayed on too thick, its also called "checking" and it really cannot be fixed but you can stop it from getting worse.

hope this helps

7. Gritblast and coat with Spray-on Gal in a can.

It'll look wicked. Trust me.

8. Leave it. Don't spend a cent on your car. It will be worthless anyway, in about 5 years.

9. OMG ... some of the answers you get ... seriously
    Most cheaply made cars have this problem, but it's not as bad as it seems ... take your car to a private automotive panel shop (not the big companies) and you will be quite surprised at what you can get done. The roof of my own car (which has peeling all over it) was quoted at $200 for a respray.
    If you go and do it yourself, you will most likely end up with an un-satisfying result and probably take it to a professional anyway. Save yourself the hassle.