Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Car reversed into my parked bike

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Maplesyrup, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Hi all,
    I just have a few questions regarding what I should do about this incident. I work at a rental yard on the weekends. Anyway one of the workers reversed a company car into my private bike and knocked it over. The fairing is pretty gouged, handle bar snapped off and misc other damage. So apparently the rental company is liable. My boss said to go get quotes on a repair from at least 2 shops and they will cover it once I send a letter of demand.

My big question is what happens about custom parts like exhausts- will they have to get a replacement?
    I mean it isn't seriously damaged (a few deepish scratches) but my bike was nearly in perfect condition before and I don't want it to look like a repair job taking $$$ of it's resale. It is going to a mechanics this arvo to get a quote on repairs.

Does it sound like I am doing this right? I have never done anything like this before so I am a bit clueless.

2. Insurance should repair it to new condition. Mechanics are good at handling this. There will be an assessor involved. What you really need is a claim number to give to the mechanic.
  3. Ok well that's a relief...or does that mean that they will replace it with a stock exhaust? I think my boss is waiting for a quote on repairs to see if it is less than the insurance excess so I haven't got a policy number or the like...trying to be as nice as possible since he is lending me a company car until it is repaired so I don't want to pressure him unless it is necessary.
  4. They'll replace it with whatever you have
  5. Take it to your preferred mechanic, its your bike and his fault. Never forget that.
    If he doesn't want an insurance blemish he will play ball.
  6. Awesome, wouldn't be happy if they did chuck a stocky on.
    Well it has gone to a mechanic that I hate but they offered pick up and will replace the bar. I'll take it to my mechanic once it is ride-able.
    Thanks for the advice :)
  7. Make sure the mechanics are very detailed in their quotes and both make reference to specific parts (make/model etc). Shouldn't be an issue but the insurer (or boss) will go for the lesser of the quotes. If both quotes are detailed and not simply '1 damaged exhaust' I don't see it being an issue.

Oh, and try not to be too 'nice' about it.
  8. I will make sure that is the case. No doubt they will...don't have too many other options though. I'm trying not to but it is hard when your job could be on the line.
  9. You have no obligation to get multiple quotes, get one from your preferred repairer.
  10. As above, you have zero obligation when hot at fault to provide any more than one quote and diretly to the insurance company. If it has gone to a shop that regulalry performs insurance type repairs, they will know what to look for.
    Ask your boss what his excess is, then get and indication for the cost of repairs. If it's over the excess tell you boss it is and can potentially go up from there and he will need to lodge the claim.
  11. It's not up to you to make a claim and would not recommend that unless no one is going to pay you!!! If you make a claim even if your not at fault your insurance prices will increase... Trust me I used to sell car/home insurance. Just get the 2 quotes from 2 good places and get him to pay.. Or source the parts online and fix yourself.. Then you get to learn too
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Even on a hyo it will be more than his excess if he hit it hard enough to break the bars.

I reakon $3000 minimum. Bikes are expensive to repair.

But dont worry about it too much but you might hint to the boss that it probably wont be a couple hundred like some cagers seem to think bikes cost to fix.
  13. Should've asked your colleague to run over it again. Better to have the thing written off.

Kidding of course.
  14. No, you're not! :p
    :D :D :D :D :D :D
    • Like Like x 2