Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

car rental-insurance

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by twainharte, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. hope this makes some sense guys/gals.

    renting a car(economy class) in the US(california).

    Q: does the travel insurance that one 'takes-out' extend to cover 1 or more of the additional(optional?!)charges rental companies like to sell you

    damage done to the rental vehicle, damage or injury to other people caused by you, injuries to passengers in your rental vehicle,
    and theft of personal belongings left in your rental car?

    known as:

    -Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)

    -Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI)

    -Personal Passenger Protection (PPP) and Personal Effects Insurance (PEI)

    does anybody know about this stuff? i want to be covered but also i don't want to be forking out money for something that's already covered.

    i know it's a specific question for the 'insurance specialist', perhaps even the travel agent, but i thought i'd ask here and perhaps get some comment from people who might have had experience with this.

    thanks in advance
  2. The travel insurance I've used has always stated it will cover the excess of a hire car up to $X. So when renting I don't pay the $25 extra per day they want to charge you for the LDW.

    Not sure about the other insurance options.

    Read the fine print in the travel insurance docs.

  3. A: NO
    The only thing travel insurance covers is the excess on the rental vehicle (sometimes called security deposit or whatever) to a specified amount.
    Even best check on that one, too.
    Particularly in the US, insurance is a tricky game.
    Unlike EU countries (where the insurance is tied to the vehicle), in the US it's tied to the driver.
  4. if it was local.. id be able to help. as i work for one of the rentals here in adelaide.. but O/S no idea..

    i know our yankie renters go thru shit with a fine tooth comb tho.. expecting to be shafted at every scratch dent stone chip scuff on trim.

    good luck
  5. No it doesn't. It will cover damage to you in the event of an accident, and some policies will cover 3rd party damage, but very few if any, will cover the hired vehicle. For that you need CDW (Collision Damage Waiver), from the rental company. Be aware that you can't rent a car in the USA without a credit card, and the rental agreement will allow them to directly debit the card for any damage. I know of one person who hit their credit limit with 24 hours of landing in L.A due to a collison damage debit, and was stranded with no money at all. The lesson there is, if you do ding the car don't report it until you hand it back at the end of your rental.