Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Car oil filters for bikes

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mattb, Feb 17, 2010.

1. G'day All.

I picked up my first oil filter for the Hornet 600 the other day - it's that external screw-on kind of filter, in a cup, unlike the naked ones you place behind a bolted cover which is all I'm used to. Anyway, in a Autobahn picking up my $23 car oil for the oil change, and notice that they have oil filters for $8 for cars as opposed to the $25 I paid for mine from the bike shop. I've a mind to take the filter in and try to find a match. And so my question: is there an oil pressure issue or any other issue which would make a car oil filter unsuitable? (Looking for an actual reason, not just the old: but the companies tell you you can't, as happens with, cough, other automative things I use in my bike).

Also, anybody know if the threads are universally one size on these things?

2. I don't have an answer but I nearly fell over when they wanted $31 for the oil filter on my VTR1000 today - will watch this with interest...
  3. The threads are metric and will fit your bike, Just make sure you have the right size thread, They are directional, its forced through the filter from one side and out through the other side back into the motor,
    I use car oil and any thing else thats automotive from cars as they are a lot cheaper than bike stuff.
    Its actually cheaper to buy off the internet from overseas than the stealers here.
  4. Slightly off topic, but still related... I am curious no no wat else (car wise) u use on ya bike....
    Honestly I had not even thought about it...
    Is car oil really much cheaper and/or better/worse for the bike???
  5. Let's not venture into that topic here - there are endless threads on the matter both on NR and on the web. I'm of the 'car oil is fine' school, not because I have the knowledge to debate it, but because I was inclined toward the preferences and arguments of those who claimed it is fine, and by the empirical study I read, and years later by the fact that my bikes have run fine on it. I generally shop for fluids and parts at a car shop as stuff is often cheaper there, though not always - in which case I'll favour the bike shop as I naturally want to see them flourish. But yes: fluids, lubes, plugs, hoses, globes, wiring...all the cross-over stuff is there on display in a car shop and is often cheaper. They're all automobiles.
  6. hmm .. not sure if they'd be any issues using an oil filter designed for a car ....
    If you have your old filter handy Matt, You may wanna try searching the Ryco site for possible matches. You can search for dimensions here:

EDIT: Good topic mate!
    an example... Oil filter for a CBX750 -VF100R-VF750 is dimensionally exactly the same as a Ryco Z495 which is used on these vehicles:
    Ford Capri
    Ford Festiva
    Ford Laser
    Holden Jackaroo
    Holden Rodeo
    Hyundai Accent
    Hyundai Coupe
    Hyundai Elantra
    Hyundai Excel
    Hyundai Getz
    Hyundai Grandeur
    Hyundai Lantra
    Hyundai Lavita
    Hyundai S Coupe
    Hyundai Santa Fe
    Hyundai Sonata
    Hyundai Terracan
    Hyundai Tiburon
    Hyundai Trajet
    Kia Optima
    Mazda 323
    Mazda MX5
    Mitsubishi Challenger
    Mitsubishi Magna
    Mitsubishi Pajero
    Mitsubishi Triton
    Mitsubishi Verada
    Subaru Forester
    Subaru Impreza
    Subaru Liberty
    Subaru Outback
    Subaru SVX

amazing eh! and Yeah I'd bet alot cheaper than bike filters.
  7. The traditional answer is you can't fit any alternative filter to your vehicle as it's not just the thread, but the length of the thread into the filter, the return holes, the back pressure, etc. . . .

I do however feel there is a bit of bullshit going on there. You should be able to get something close enough.

The other side of the equation is the cost. You mentioned $8. You can pretty much only get the falcon Z9 filter for that these days. Most other car filters sit in the $15-$25 range. This makes them not much less than the bike equivalent.

So you might be able to reduce the risk by doing your homework, but the risk will always be there. Multiply that by the consequences and you have to question whether it's worth it to save a possible $40 per year.

Maybe look for alternatives in the motorbike world. I remember with the GSXR750/1100 range one of these had a larger filter. I think the 750 (for racing). There were definitely interchangeable.

So in your case the 900 Hornet or Fireblade may fit, be cheaper and give you a large filter area.
  8. just be aware k/n and hiflo usually make aftermarket oil filters for most bikes and are generally ~ 20% cheaper. :D

i paid ~ $17 instead of the $27 for a yammy fazer one
  9. If the filter will physically fit, it's highly unlikely to cause any problems. Just beware. Not all are metric, but the imperial thread might be close enough to fool you until it jams solid halfway on.
  10. the only thing you can't see just by observation is the k value of the bypass spring, though in a non-blocked filter, the pressure loss should be a bee's one over bugger all. Aside from that, if you see a clone, go for it. Much like Emergency Equipment - there's a surcharge for having "Motorcycle" preceding the name. take your new filter and spend a few minutes in the supercrap filter isle.
  11. Gee $30 for an oil filter....must be a honda......:-({|=.
    gumby's is $12.95 for the oem..$17 for a hi flo.....

On the subject of car oil filters...some have a one-way valve built in so that the engine is not starved of oil while the pump fills the oil filter on start-up...some don't, and they are still marked as compatible with model xyz...i say bs compatible.
  12. Very handy. I've seen those before. Shame all the listed brands are US oriented. Still, shouldn't be hard to cross reference from US part numbers to Aus market ones.