Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Car Mechanic (or someone that is handy) needed ASAP

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Holster, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Hi Guys and Girls

I have had a bit of trouble with my car tonight, it over heated and seems to be out of water (It was fine when I checked it a couple of weeks ago). I don't want to drive it any where in this condition so is there anyone out there that is able to have a look / fix it or point me in the direction of a decent mobile mechanic?

I'm in Dandenong north.

Gifts of praise / beer / cash will be available

2. Not much info here. I smell a can of worms

3. Firstly . . .
    Look under your car and see where the water leak maybe from.
    Check all hose connections to and from the radiator for other possible leaks.
    Then check the oil dipstick to see if the oil is mixing with water . . . if this is so (a light brown color and more viscous) . . you have a blown engine gasket or cracked engine block.

If the radiator or coolant reservoir is completely dry . . . fill it up with coolant/water. Start the engine to allow the water pump to distribute the coolant/water . . . keep adding water/coolant while engine is running and make sure the radiator is topped up all the time.

While doing this check for possible leaks again around the engine and hoses. Also check the exhaust and see if its misty, if so, you have a cracked engine block or gasket.

So . . .
    Your losing fluid somewhere, identify this first !

What kind of car is it ?

4. The water is coming out near the radiator - running off the plate under it (it's too dark to see much more).

It's a AU Series 3 Falcon

5. It could be as simple as a cracked lower hose pipe.

The falcon straight 6 is pretty bullet proof.
    You see so many taxis going aound with 400K odd kms on them.
    So it may not be a serious gasket/engine block leak.

When you have more light, fill the cooling system with water and determine the leak location.

It maybe just a simple $15 hose replacement.

6. I'll have a go tomorrow morning and post about what I find.

Thanks for the help

I'll still need may need a hand from someone as my total tool collection consists of 4 allen keys and a cordless drill.

7. OK, So I have filled it with water and had a better look.

Doesn't look like there is water in the oil.

The water seems to be coming out of the bottom front of the motor in behind the drive belt.

Is there anyone that can help?

8. new water pump !

9. All falcons with alloy heads have a weak spot in the head gasket.
    With the engine switched off, take the oil filler cap off and have a look at the colour under it. If it looks like mayonnaise of chocolate milk (sounds silly i know) you have water in the oil. Also take out the oil dip stick and check the colour of the oil there too.

10. simple fix-
    get a toyota :cool:

11. Thats exactly what the guy at the car rental place said.

Rolla, I have checked the oil and apart from looking like it needs a change it's ok.

Thanks so much for your advice <3

So is there anyone out there that can fix this soon or point me in the direction of a reasonably priced decent mobile mechanic?

12. Is it really pi55ing out water or just leaking. Cos you could quite easily top it up and drive it a couple of k's, just leave the radiator cap off so the system is not pressurised.

From memory the AU has a limp home mode for precisely this situation.

Fill it up with water, dont warm the thing up at all, just jump in it and get to wherever you're going to get it fixed. Obviously somewhere close but there's heaps of places in dandy anyway.

13. it's pretty mich pissing out.

It's ok though, a friend is coming over today to look at it, make sure it's the water pump and then he said he will fix it.

14. Supercheap Auto has a sale at the moment.
    From memory, Falcon straight 6 water pumps can be purchased over the counter !

Good luck with the fix !

15. Have to disagree with you there. Never leave it totally off any vehicle as it could allow the coolant to came straight out.
    Leave the cap on but only turn to the first click. This will hold the coolant in and will not pressurize.

16. Shutup Dave, what would you know anyay... the way you were talking anyone would think you were a mechanic or something :wink: :LOL: :LOL:

ok, I will just go back to lurking around from corner again..

17. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :p :p :p :p :p

18. with fords it really can be a matter many thiongs, all of which have basically been mentioned, fill the radiator tank up with water, with the cap off reach over and pull on the throttle cable at the throttl;e body, watching nside the radiator tank, if the water rises, you have a blown head gasket, qany 4 litre ford with over 140k on it you should be checking this

2nd check to do is for water stains anywhere on the radiator, which will indicate a hole in the radiator

another big problem the ford 4 litres had was the heater tap failing and dropping all the water from under the intake manifold

then last but not least is the water pump, again pulling the throttle at the throttle body, and watvhing the water pump pully and heck for slipping, which means that its not pummping the water properly through the motor, letting tyhe water go out the overflow as the fluids start to eat up, very rarely dod the fords actually seap through the water pump

19. Falcon six, hope the head didn't warp.........
    Amazed Ford still has cooling issues with their inlines, but they've finally solved that by not building them anymore! :LOL:
    Go the modular V6.

Regards, Andrew.

20. yeah they warp and crack like a mother f#$ker, modular V6??? doesn't the BA BF use a twin over head cam inline 6?