Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Car did a u-turn... close one!

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Mr Messy, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Damn, its been a while since i had something happen that was more then the usual cut off/merge into/etc that happens every single time i hop on the bike.

Had my first taste of the u-turn across in front of me with little room to do a thing... It was all in a 70kph zone and i was happily plodding along at the limit. The incident in question... I was watching for it, but even then when it happened i had so little chance to react. Came out unscathed but my boot did bump the car in question. Thank goodness i spent quite a bit of time practicing how to brake heavily while cornering and changing my line in corners.

Basically, car on the shoulder to my left, indicating right with the wheel clearly cranked to full lock = u-turn. As i approached i kept a good eye on him, but even then he went at just the moment where i decided he had seen me and i had just looked forward again.
    I dumped my bike to the left to try and get around the back of the car, and braked hard, letting the bike stand back up on its own as i did so. The reason i didnt just continue the turn was the crash barrier on the side of the lane. My right boot just touched the rear right corner of the car and i immediately cranked it back upright and over to the right to avoid the barrier - missed it by half a lane.
    The car driver did stop on noticing me a little belatedly. I took it in good graces which is unusual for me :p, and he was apologetic, the usual 'i didnt see you' line, and i let him go with the 'look a little harder' line :p. Hopefully he will be a little more cautious in the future.

Not entirely sure what i could have done differently, think my road positioning was right and the spidey sense was working, i honestly just didnt expect it when i was right on top of him. I could have managed to not touch him at all if i was happier going closer to the barrier, but i misjudged his speed, my speed, and my braking... learning though ;).

*goes and changes my underwear*:busting:
  2. Scary stuff!!

At the end of the day though, you've managed to keep the bike upright - by how much doesn't matter - it's still upright. You're alive and uninjured, bike is not damaged, and hopefully the guy in the car has learnt to look that little bit harder.

Regardless of how much practice you get though it's an unfortunate fact that there is always going to be a cage, somewhere, willing to put those skills to the test. The best thing about it, it's a learning experience like no other which in turn only makes for a better rider. Unlike many others though, as above, you're uninjured from your experience. (y)

3. LOL great result mate. It's good to see you can REACT And not just hit the stoppers and stare at what you don't want to hit.
    Brilliant work. Glad the end result was ok.
    Pitty cage drivers don't head check eh
  4. Are they taught to? If not they should be.

I know I was but that was a quarter century ago in another country so it's hardly indicative.
  5. Taught to by whom? It's part of the problem being discussed in several places around NR right now, Pat.
    My FIL is a driving instructor and teaches his paying students to headcheck. But professional driving tuition isn't mandatory in this country so there are plenty who don't get it. And those numpties like the one in the OP are teaching their kids to drive JUST like they do...
    My son is learning to drive at the moment, and you can bet your arse he's being taught to headcheck.
  6. If you had an air horn installed, got on it as soon as you got suspicious and close to the car. It may have made them take notice.

Other than that I just slow right down and watch closely, even if I have right of way. If slowed and still suspicious, use the horn anyway. Despite what some have said around here recently, it is there for warning other traffic and making sure they know you are there, not just in emergencies, or after that fact to let them know you are unhappy, which is the most common usage.

You did well though, particularly if it was wet.
  7. As Bretto said, well done mate.

+1 for the Spidey Sense!!!

8. Yes but everybody is subject to a formal driving assessment by their state RTA aren't they? I was more meaning "Is it part of the assessment? If not, it should be".
  9. Fair point Pat, and another problem with driver training: Kids are being taught to pass the test, not drive the car.
    They'll be told "If you don't headcheck, you'll fail".
    Not why they should do it all the time...
    It seriously makes me mad given I'm about to release another young driver onto the roads; one that I love dearly...
  10. Yes, it's a part of the assesment, but it seems to disappear sometime after...

Let's face it, if they're too lazy to indicate, how can we expect them actually move some muscles & do a headcheck?

Sounds like you were lucky Mr. Messy, it's a good reminder for us all.
  11. Thanks all. It was dry...

If i had still been looking at him id likely have had a second or two more notice and just been able to slow enough to avoid it with brakes alone. Comes a time where i have to look where im going though :D. Reactions took that moment to decide what to do and went for it.

Think the driver was a bit more shook then me over it. Hell, i think i was on an adrenalin rush after getting away with it unscathed so i could hardly care less except for that rather brown moment to start with. Hopefully itll press the message home to at least one driver.
  12. Coincidently this came up over over dinner tonight.

My sister failed her licence test about 15 years ago for failing to perform a head check over her left shoulder when pulling out from the kerb -- she had performed one over her right shoulder.
  13. Lol Snow Dog.
    I remember getting 99/100 for my Ls test in the cage, because i supposedly didnt 'make my scanning side streets obvious'. Apparently i had to physically turn my head and look up side streets as i went past them (being aware with your peripheral vision apparently isnt enough). Between that and fixating on the speedo, pretty hard to see where you are going.
  14. I got done for that too Mr. Messy...

Headchecks took on a whole new meaning for me when I started riding a bike... I headcheck when i'm moving lane positions O_O Bit anal I know. Keeps me out of trouble.

Kids pass their test and instantly forget everything they were meant to learn. Why? Because they are teenagers and they think they know best. Unfortunately, this bad attitude coupled with the fact cars are becoming safer and safer means these kids can get away with this crappy attitude and not have any reality checks.

Riders on the other hand, have reality checks on a frequent basis and are in general better road users than the average driver. I believe it is our fear that makes the majority of riders better riders and the complete lack thereof the biggest downfall for most young drivers.
  15. Yeah mate. I was always one to do head checks in the cage when merging etc, so headchecks on the bike were really a second nature, but even then ive been lazy a couple of times and its caught me out... reminders, so far none that hurt!
  16. I'm a car salesman, so I get to take scores of different people each week for a drive. Something 99% of drivers do, is adjust their wing mirrors in so far that all they can see is the side of the car. What's the point ? Might as well not have them. There's no such thing as a 'blind spot' just careless/clueless drivers.