Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Car carriers? Anyone used one?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by removed-6, Mar 30, 2007.

1. I need to get an idea what it will cost to move a car from Townsville to Melb. Anyone used a car carrier before can give me an idea, and possibly a recomendation of who to use?

2. How do new cars get up there? Ask a dealer. See if you can get on a backload.
    I trucked a car back from Perth 10 yrs ago. Left the car at the Finmores depot and they loaded it as part of a backload. Perth to Melb was about $400.
  3. I've got a friend who recently moved a car from townsville to perth. I'll ask him tomorrow who he used.
  4. Herad horror stories about both Toll and TNT.
    Often if moving, furniture movers will tow a car trailer as well, you can either get a one way trailer rental, or get the furniture removalists to return the trailer. I did the latter when moving my truck.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. I am doing an insurance job for a Toll stuff up at the moment and last time we had a car come through TNT it took 4 days to come from Sunshine to the North Melbourne. I will ask on monday for you.
  6. He used Toll, through the army, and they damaged his car.
  7. My parents had their cars shipped Canberra -> Perth about a month back through Toll (through another company) and they didn't have any issues at all, cars got there in less than 2 weeks, rather than the month they got quoted
  8. You can get an email quote bud. They have depots in Townsville & Melbourne
    which is perfect for you.

(4) types of transport, each with diff costs. Depot-to-Depot is cheapest

"we have placed online our last 30 hand quoted transport prices. Whilst you
    cannot book your transport on this price, it should prove to be a good resource
    for customers requiring an idea of transport costs."

9. Thanks MG thet was very helpful, $669 Townsville -> Melb.

Thanks for everyones help :grin:
  10. No probs champ. :wink:
  11. i'll drive it for ya! :D
    kinda a cool way to spend a weekend... fly up, drive back :D
  12. :LOL:

Thanks, but I don't think Townsville to Melb would be OK as "driving to the place of repair" before I get the roadworthy.

Plus, It would be a dead boring drive I reckon.