Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Car blind spots

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by davidp1984, Jun 15, 2012.

1. I stumpled upon this and thought that it is pretty neat, particularly for new riders to see where potential blindspots can be.

http://theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/d...20,67&mcenter=-93.4&mleft=-78.7&mright=-101.4

This is probably how I have it setup in my car. (obviously I mirrored it to suit american style)

Points to remember:

-This is theoretical.
    -Each car may be set up differently.
    -This is theoretical.
    -Most car's don't even use their mirror's.
    -This is theoretical.

In other words, don't use this as gospel.

2. That's a fair enough generalisation on the proximity of blind spots.
    But as you rightly pointed out, there are variables, so don't bet the farm on it. One still has to have a proper look.

What I would like to see in all cars is an led mounted in the mirror surround, glowing red when something falls into a blind spot. We have parking sensors, so I imagine it would not be that hard to do. Different sensor design, obviously.

3. Already exists.

4. Pretty neat. But considering some drivers don't even see what's directly in front of them... =/

5. You know you can move the drivers position right...?

6. pretty cool!

7. awesome :) Great timing! I am going to do a presentation on motorcycling safety soon so this will be neat to include! Thanks!