Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Captain Slow?

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by danceswithdingoes, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Just curious, I recently joined a motorcycle social group, many of which ride cruisers like myself, however I find I'm uncomfortable maintaining the speed that the average rider maintains, particularly in corners and windey stuff. Apart from arriving way behind the others, I feel I'm not enjoying the ride as much as when I ride solo and set my own speed (90kms on average). I'm returning to riding after a long hiatus but I didn't ride fast back then either (and never took a spill in 15 years of riding). Should I persist or find a scooter club?

2. ride your own pace - your suited as a sweeper for group rides
  3. That's a tough one mate. The main thing is don't push beyond what feels safe for you. Maybe get out on some solo runs to brush up on your skills or do a riding course.
  4. you say you never took a spill in 15 years of riding.
    keep doing what you're doing and ignore them.
    your way is better.

5. Both of these...
  6. Sounds like you could benefit from some rider training courses if you're unhappy with your cornering ability.
  7. Practice makes perfect.

Apparently. :p
  8. where/what do you ride?
  9. I was (am) the same. A 'returned' rider who still doesn't keep pace with the faster lads. But I don't care at all, it gives me chance to actually see the areas I'm riding through and give the others time for a cigarette (or two) along the way.

I always get there in the end and always happy to get there :)
  10. Ride your own race.

I recently did the Putty Run with a group a couple of weekends ago. The pecking order usually gets sorted out pretty quickly. I am always at the back...and I'm fine with that! I ride to MY level - not THEIRS.

There was one guy in the middle of the group who was playing 'catchup' with the guys at the front. Took a corner way above his level and went smack bang into a car coming the other way. He's still in hospital 3 weeks later. Has a plate in his wrist, a fractured tibia and deep vein thrombosis. The bike has gone to bike heaven.

You and only you know where you skill level is at...and how to handle you bike.

Don't allow others need for speed put your life in jeopardy.
  11. While I agree with what others have said, in general, it's one thing to ride 'slowly' because that's what you enjoy and another thing altogether if you do so because your skills don't allow you to 'keep up'. I have no idea if that applies to your situation but it's something worth thinking about.
  12. I feel stressed riding 'on the edge' but others tell me that's the very reason they ride ](*,)
  13. There is no need for anyone needing to go out and practice faster riding just to keep up with others.
    If you've been riding for so long without any issues and it's what keeps the smile on your face, then keep with it.

I've always thought this is a flaw in group riding at times...

Worst thing I've heard so often is well meaning experienced riders who tell others to watch or follow their line on public roads.... Big mistake guys.
    Right line is the one at a pace you're comfortable at...

Ride you're own ride, if I don't feel right at all with a particular group, I'll choose other's to ride with....
  14. Theres sports riders, and people who like to just ride, you are the latter, nothing wrong with it, just find a different group of riders to hang out with the enjoy the relaxed pace and scenery.
    I for one much prefer it, don't really get the guys who want to go faster and faster around the corner until they crash and figure out thats as fast as they can go.
    Adrenalin junkies I guess, im more of a stop and smell the roses without killing yourself sorta guy.
    I can see how easy it is to get competitive in a group however, especially when following other riders, its just embedded instinct to chase that bike in front of you, its a reflex and you see it with drivers of many different vehicles all the time.
  15. Shhh, don't tell anyone else, but there's also sports riders who just like to ride too. :-$
  16. Ride at your own pace, end of story.

You will find on netrider, groups of varying rider abilitys. Choose one group that suits you.
    There are slow, medium, fast, lunatics, even learner groups are good to ride with.
    The choices are there.
    Learn what the different levels are, I think its in the event/ride calender.
    Enjoy your ride, at what ever speed you travel at.
  17. Learner groups *always* looking for experienced riders who don't mind hanging back with them and showing them the ropes.
  18. I'm happy to ride at my own pace - riding with a group on public roads does not make a race.

Training is good for everybody and may mean that you are technically able to ride faster but that doesn't mean you have to.

If you are in/around Sydney, I'd be happy to ride with you at a relaxed pace.
  19. Same here Robbie.

My hubby and my BIL are both experienced riders. But my SIL and I are both on our L's (P's on the 9th of Oct). Your more than welcome to come along with us if in Syd.
  20. I don't aggree with that at all. I guess it could be compared to hopping on the back of another rider's bike, it depends if they are out to help you or out to kill you. If the goal of the well meaning rider is to show off how good he is then its a recipe for disaster.

As most people know there are heaps of things that effect your lines - speed, whether your hanging off or not, how aggressivley you tip in, where you brake and so on.

You've met my girlfriend on that wisemans run we went on in syd and shes becoming a pretty good rider. Every now and then I'll get her to follow me and copy my braking points, lines and turn in point etc. But when I do it I don't come up to the corner at 150kph, throw myself off the side, dive on the brakes, blip it down 2 gears and trail brake into the corner. Of course I ride in a manner and speed that is acheivable by her. I'll ride completely upright, will brake smoothly over a greater distance and I'll tip in gently. It's a completely different style to how I normally ride. It's pretty boring for me but she finds it very beneficial so thats why I do it. It's not about pushing her out of her comfort zone by making her go faster, its the oposite, it's about showing her how much easier and enjoyable riding can be by putting her bike in the right place at the right time.

A natural byproduct of getting that right is speed. You can then choose to go along the road at the speed limit as oposed to riding at your limit.