Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Canuck moving Down Under, advice please!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by pilotguy027, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Hi everyone,

I'll be moving down to Brisbane in Dec for the forseable future, and one of the first things I'd like to do is get a bike. I've had 5 years riding experience here in Canada and will definitely want to take advantage of year round riding.

I've been looking at some used motorcycle prices, but was wondering when would be the best time to purchase a bike? Do prices go up in summer in Bris, or do less people ride when it gets hot?

I've narrowed it down to an SV650 without fairings, I think it will offer a good amount of performance with minimal insurance costs. Any SV riders in Bris?

Thanks for any help!

2. As you mention, due to the fact you can ride pretty much all year arond, no there isn't a cheaper time to buy as far as I'm aware. But I'm a Meexican(sth of the border) in Melbourne.
    As for SV's, ask Cejay, he races one I believe and could give you the low down. Big change in weather extremes. Canada to Brisbane. Where aboots(in your local dialect) in Canada are you coming from?
  3. There's an aussie SV forum - svdownunder
  4. Thanks! I'm from Calgary, Alberta, in the western part of the country. Will miss the Rocky Mountains, but not the 6 months of winter, not to mention 3 months of decent riding. Bris will be a huge change, and in a good way!
  5. have you been forewarned of our dangerous fauna?
    hoopsnakes, dropbears, etc?

many visitors to this country aren't prepared for some of our native animals
  6. :rofl: :rofl:
  7. Yep got to watch out when down here.
    even the roos at night are killers.
    And heaven forbid if you fall off down Tassie way and land in a ditch.
    The Devils will eat the flesh from your bones so that by the time rescue happens there is not much left to salvage.
    I kid you not.
  8. but at least you won't have to worry about grizzly bears :)
  9. or americans :p

Bird eating spiders are not to be scoffed at either! Especially up north, I wouldn't want to come accross a spider as big as a dinner plate!
  10. From what I have noticed the best time to by is in winter prices seem to go down a little because less are buying.

As mentioned before svdownunder has alot of people from brisbane area.
  11. also want to warn you about speed enforcement, from what i can understand Canada is a bit more relaxed to speeding, so you'll need to be on your toes when you arrive. a lot of the favoured riding roads are well policed in Australia, police use of speedo-guns are widespread and penalties can be severe. needless to say, there's a time and a place for some fun, and hopefully with the extended riding season down here you'll still find a chance to get your kicks.

and try and keep hold of your original Canadian licence, I've had foreign mates have great success in getting out of fines by producing a foreign licence when pulled over. just makes things too complicated and confusing the poor policeman (then again, my NSW licence has confused some poor policemen)
  12. :rofl:
    Worse than Kiwis, do you reckon?

(You will need to research the road rules, pilotguy. They are quite different to your country, and more rigidly enforced.)
  13. Not to mention that if your suspended from riding on your canadian licence in QLD, it does not apply in the other states/territories.(This may have or may not have changed since i last came accross this).

And kiwi's aren't too bad, you just have to know the lingo. Bro. :D
  14. Get in touch with Milat Tours. They'll show you the lay of the land and some good spots to lay low if you need to :shock:
  15. Now THAT is totally uncalled for!!

As for the local fauna, local colonies of bogans are much more dangerous.
  16. Poor bastard is getting a bum steer! LMAO.

But we do have something like 7 / 10 of the worlds most venomous snakes...
  17. There is nothing more scarey then being pulled over by a copper in speedos pointing at you with his gun in-hand...Eww!
  18. pilotguy027 said:
    Just a tad climatically. I'd be spending a few weeks in the sauna to acclimatise.
  19. Well I had suspicions of you being a bit of a girly man Rob but sheesh! :shock:
  20. #20 twainharte, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015