Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can't U turn with the bike lying on it's side...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Panthus, Sep 30, 2006.

1. It was down for the count....i dropped my bike!!!

I already had a phobia for u-turns so today i bite the bullet and go out to a quiet carpark. Three turns later it's lying on it's side.

With a nice matching bruise on my wrist and calf and a broken front brake to boot, i'm starting to think passing my P's is a pipe dream.

I know what i SHOULD be doing - turn my head, ride that clutch, use that back brake yadda yadda yadda but its just not coming togethor for me.

What is wrong with me!?!?! (rhetorical question, the list would be too long!!)

So i'm just venting really but if any one has a magic tonic that will make it all better then let me know :(
  2. Sounds like your thinking way to much coming in.....

Just go with the flow.

Heck I went over the line on my U-Turn .... but I kept looking over my shoulder.. and had the 'jist' of it.. so I passed.

Get out there and practice (some more)

Start wide and bring it in every two turns or so.
  3. Don't be discouraged, that's the first thing. These things shall pass, and you are treading a path other, now-expert, riders have trod.
    Chin up, and get back out there and do it again; the human path to learning has always been experimentation and practice. (Pity the first parachutists!!)
  4. I hated tight turns when I first started riding. My partner got me out in a industrial estate make large circles and gradually getting them smaller and tighter. I found it easier to get it up into second gear and not ride the clutch - this may not be the right way to do it, but it worked for me (so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). 1st gear can be a little to jerky. Also move your body weight in the direction you want to go. If you want to turn left press down on your left foot peg and vice versa. Moving your weight will help you corner.

Maybe get someone from Netrider in your area to give you a hand in this area. keep practising - it will get easier.
  5. I found u0turns pretty damn hard. The trick i found when first learning them at low speed is to keep the bike dead upright. leaning in like you would on a pushbike just makes it fall over. (untill you get used to putting some throttle in and tipping it up with power rather than trying to steer which will just end with the bike sideways.
  6. I dont have any words of wisdom as im still learning them myself.. i think practice is the key as the others said.. i hope you and the bike heal quick.

I was at P5 at homebush this morning practicing emergency stops and weaving between the dots and a female L plater on a naked red bike went past a couple of times.. was that you?
  7. Hey Al,

I might pretend it wasn't me to hide my shame... but yeah that was me :oops:

I saw you practising and you looked pretty damn good so i thought, i'll just mosey on over to a different spot where noone can see me ha!!!

There's no escaping you netriders!!!! haha

So it's probably just as well i didn't come over to you because i would have turned your practise area into a battle ground with broken machinery and injury's...oh well...
  8. Don't know if you have done this already... and i'm a total noob as well but the instructors on the L's course suggested having the brake and clutch levers slightly loose on the handlebars so if you drop the bike they just roll out of the way and don't break. But other than that keep the eyes up... if you start looking down you've lost your reference point to horizontal (ie the horizon) and your body won't keep its balance.
  9. i'm thinking panthus and al bundy should get together and practice together. like weights training you could spot for each other.
    sometimes someone watching will notice something you are doing...

practice is the only answer and dont give up :)
  10. the only advice i can offer is just to relax, practice wider turns then slowly tighten them up. you will get it, dont get disheartened.

hope your wrist heals up. i strained my right wrist the other day pretending i was a ninja and now it hurts to accelerate lol. least ill keep my license a lil longer hehe)
  11. After reading Twist of the Wrist, or the other one, they recommended you sitting upright, and leaning the bike in under you, ie, load the inside peg and lean outwards....
    I thought, wtf, but gave it a try....Worked a dream.
    On the Thundercat, went from Uturns larger than a semi, to peg hard on road uturns at the end of my street....bloody brilliant.
    Now that I've got the Blackbird, it took a bit of courage, but i can get it to turn in a fairly small distance.

12. Yea warden, I was gonna say the same. I'm a newbie myself, but I've read that in "Twist of the Wrist" as well. Was sort of hard to begin with, but turns are a lot tighter and you don't feel like you'd fall coz your entire body is counter weighting...
  13. What ride that clutch? You never ride the clutch while turning, you approach the turn relaxed, slow down (if you need to) btw 2nd gear is just perfect for u-turn, but do not ride the clutch while turning as you will loose your drive you don't want the bike to free-wheel while on the turn you need the gears engage for you to complete/get out of the turn.

14. I don't know what the U turn allowance is for the NSW test, but I'd guess it would be harder to do in second gear without riding the clutch rather than taking it easy in first and touching back brake if required.
  15. after reading all this i have now started to worry.. i only got my own bike 2 weeks ago but my p's test is in bout 6 weeks and my license runs out in bout 7..

so i guess i better start practicing like mad.
  16. WRONG. Very wrong.
    Making a U-Turn is a SLOW RIDING ACTIVITY, at least while you are learning. When slow riding you do things completely differently to normal riding at speed:
    1. You sit upright and lean the bike, rather than keeping the bike upright and leaning into the curve.
    2. You use the rear brake, ONLY the rear brake.
    3. You feather, or ride the clutch to control your speed around the corner and smooth out the power. Best done in first gear.

Okay, I'm no expert, so any and all can now tell me if I'm wrong.
  17. ...whatever gets you 'round safely i say :cool:
  18. I agree with lots of low speed practice. An empty parking lot is ideal. (or even a big back yard) Balance is a little tricky when doing tight turns, but is not entirely dependent on steering. Careful use of the throttle in first gear can be very useful. Closing the throttle will cause the bike to drop into the turn and reduce the radius of your turn, while accelleration will cause the bike to straighten up. It's best not to ride the clutch, if your bike will go slow enough. Try this. It's a revelation when you get it right.
  19. Im also practising my U turns and if already in motion, I find that using 2nd gear, even throttle & dragging rear brake works a treat for me.

If from stationary position, same as above except in 1st gear and I use a little counter balance (leaning in the opposite direction) but I never touch the clutch or front brake on either.

If you get tired or bored of practising figure 8's in carparks, test out doing stationary start right hand turns at small roundabouts then head back to the carpark to compare. I found this also helps.
  20. ride to hornsby heights, go up and down galston gorge.