Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

cant tell idle rpm..tacho starts at 3000 rpm

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by mikey_mikestar, Jun 10, 2009.

1. can someone tell me if there is a way i can hook up another tacho (one that starts from '0' ) to find out my idle rpm. my tacho starts at 3000 rpm.
    or is there a tool that i can use to check it.
    my bike is a yamaha 89 fzr250

2. i want to do my clean and tune the carbs. the idle speed is meant to be 1600 but i cant tell this because the tacho only starts at 3000. ive only had a bike about 1 yr and dont have the ear to tell how its idling.
  3. Just set it a bit higher than stalling. :grin:
  4. thanks, gives me somethin to go on.
  5. Most mechanics have a digital tacho reader
    that hooks onto the spark plug lead.
  6. you can buy digital multimeters that have a tacho function..
  7. thanks ill check out some auto stores for 1.
  8. Take a guitar or keyboard out and find what note the bike's playing at 3200, then drop the engine down an octave. :LOL: Let me know how you go!
  9. the fact that im completely music illiterate doesnt really help me...lol.
    cos i havent been around bikes very long ill take your word that this actually works. or im just gullable
  10. my bikes a Cflat :LOL: ... oh right mikeymikemike is gullible oopsy
  11. lol, gold!
  12. yeah yeah pick on the new guy. i can take it :oops:
  13. Heh. Just set it so its not stalling and not overheating. Lower is usually better.
    It varies depending on the temperature of the bike. Anywhere between 1200-2000 is probably fine, just turn it up a bit if it struggles.

Mines set to about 1500.
  14. It's just an idle, and bikes will handle a few extra revs if you find it smooths out your riding, or stop the nasty clacking from auto decomp.