Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can't seem to do the right hand u-turns well

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by dru, Jan 23, 2009.

1. I checked out the MOST practice area yesterday at the closed off part of Benelong Rd as I was itching for some practice time.

After a few times going up and down that road, I've found that I'm having problems doing right hand U-turns in general. Going left-hand is fine and I can do it pretty tightly, but for some reason when I try to do a right hander it just doesn't feel right. I had to plant the right foot down a few times to stabilise as well at first coz I felt I was leaning over too much and the bike was going to "tabletop".

By the end of the practice I felt a little better and I wasn't planting the foot down at all, but the right hand u turns are still too wide. should i be wiping off more speed? any other tips to get this right?

also, i'm finding it hard going right on a roundabout, which I think is probably linked to same issue i might be having doing right hand u-turns.

2. Hey dru, have a look at the thread below if you haven't already. It's got some good stuff in it.

U Turns

Good luck, hope you get it sorted. I'm sure you will :)
  3. #3 JP, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  4. hey thanks folks... i think i figured out what I'm doing wrong, I'm shifting my weight to the inside of the turn, ie. to the right of the seat. That Captain Crash video explained heaps.
  5. haha that was my thread.

For me it was about learning to keep the revs high and working the clutch and back brake