Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

can't make a decision!!! to cruise or not to cruise?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by helent, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Hi all

As you can see from my info, I currently have a hyosung aquila cruiser, and it does seem to be a lovely bike. Just not sure if it is the bike for me though...... I got a cruiser because my hubby is supposed to be getting one (after selling his Kawa GTR because of back problems). And of course, our bikes have to be compatible if we are going to go out riding together or it just wouldn't look right :grin:

Anyway, I have had a few lessons now (instructor's bike is a suzuki GN200) and get out on the weekend doing a circuit on the hyosung near my house (can't go any further yet because hubby STILL hasn't bought himself a replacment bike). I am finding going backwards and forward between the 2 completely different bikes pretty difficult, not to mention mine is a bit harder to do the slow stuff with anyway.

I have been leaning towards thinking about a different bike...... say a GPX250. Went for a very quick test ride around a car park on one last week, and it was easier to do the slow stuff on, but I have really short arms and I did find the slight lean foward onto the bars a little bit weird (after the uprightness of the Suzuki, and a laid back cruiser). And I was pretty set on changing to the GPX, but this weekend I had a bit of a breakthrough on the hyosung - for 2 weekends I have been trying to get the courage up to attempt a u-turn on the road near my house (which is a bit slopy and gravelly) and have been chickening out and just not being able to do it. This weekend however, I managed to do it, and can now seem to do it every time I try (not sure what the road width is, it is not that narrow).

But I can't make up my mind whether I am a cruiser kind of rider or not. I am only 35 and am beginning to think there will be plenty of time in my old age for pottering along on one of these :grin:

Sigh, I just don't know what to do - I can picture myself on the GPX, leaning into corners and having fun with it, but the hyosung is such a lovely looking bike.......Also, slightly worried about how much weight I was taking on my arms and hands on the GPX - is this normal on one of these - if it is, then OK, I was just worried my arms maybe too short or something. I know I need a longer test ride on the GPX before parting with any more money.

Will somebody please just tell me what to do because trying to make a decision is giving me a headache :grin:

2. I think you've answered your own question, Plenty of time for a Cruiser and then when you're really old you can get a BMW :p

Seriously though, the weight on the wrists will take some getting used to, but you can also get more upright bikes - sorry don't know much about 250's.

So how long are you still on restrictions for? Maybe keep the 250 cruiser till you are offf restrcitions and then get something really worthwhile, or just buy the GPX250 as the loss you'll take on it will not be too great once you upgrade.

Crusier riding isn't for everyone, but then again 250 bikes aren't all that inspiring either, so try a few bikes and let us know how you get on.

Good luck with it all.

3. Only you can choose really - but consider how the bike you ride make you feel - forget look for a second. Does it feel right? Can you easily get it on the centre stand (if it has one)? Is it stable enough for you at slower speeds? What type of riding do you do (i.e. straight, mountain roads, fast, slow)?

A cruiser will make you 'feel' good, which is important to some. But a sportier bike may suit your riding style - or what you aspire to ride like.

4. Nup sort it out yourself! :LOL:

To set the scene I have been riding for 7 months or so now and have done 14,000kms and in that time i have wished for a cruiser, sports bike, tourer etc etc.

Stick with the bike and learn on it was the advice I was given early on because it may not be the bike but the idea of the bike that gets you. I guess what I mean is that when someone blasts past me on a super sports ooohh I want one, when I see the cruiser dudes all loud and attitude going up the main street of Mornington on a sunny day oohh I want one. The advice that I was given that with most new riders we are still trying to sort out where we are in this subculture called motorcycling and it normally takes a year or two to sort it out.

So IMO only I would stick with the cruiser and master it then when it is time to upgrade pick what ever gets ya going.

I must admit as much as it pains me to say I am now seriuosly considering a Harley Vrod as my next bike. :oops:

5. Im was and still am ,in two minds about what bike I want ,sports-tourer or cruiser ,i know im not a R1 rider.

After riding a GS500F for 9 months im "trying out" a cruiser for 12 months and see what i like better ,as i always wanted a cruiser i got one ,just so I know for my next REAL BIG bike ,what i really want.
    Remember the 2nd .3rd ,4th ,bike won't be your last.
    I would stick with the cruiser ,till your on your full licence ,then ride the hubbys bike and then you will now.

Or put a add in the forum or in your signature if you want to swap ,someone maybe looking to try a cruiser.
    As for the hands and wrists on a sports bike ,i did see a Hyo GTR650 with up right bars ,you still get the sports bike ,but abit more up right ,might be an idea.

Hey im still a newbie and know crap ,it's just my 0.5c

6. :rofl: thank goodness I'm not alone :)

7. [note for the reality impaired - this is light-hearted but should give you some good advice anyway]

Look into yourself and you'll know.

If you like lying on the fuel tank, seeing the lines of the road a blur beneath you - if you are fascinated by the latest Rossi-esque leathers and desire to scrape the kneeguard on corners - if you want to pop mono's past school buses and rev into the 10,000s and beyond - if doubling the speed limit is most important, and feeling the G forces as you accelerate and corner...

A sportsbike is for you.

If you prefer to sit up a bit, but still get wedged into the tank as you brake, if you like to see the scenery between the twisties - if you want to load up on hard panniers and extended fuel tanks, to ride two up and go to track days in another state - if you desire performance and comfort equally - if its all about reaching your destination for the next day...

A sports-tourer might be more your style

however...

If you're enthralled by rich duco and extravegant lashings of chrome - if the unmistakable roar of a big twin is a sweet song - if you want to sit up and look at the world - if you don't care for ducking under a fairing, prefering to take everything as it comes - if you want to roll the highways with unmistakable presence - if the badass look is what you want - or, if its all about the GETTING there rather than being there...

Then you want a cruiser.

Cruisers will take off from the line in 4th gear rather than stall, they put zero pressure on your wrists, arms and legs (transferring it all to base of your spine...), they look hot and sound better. They have the punch off the line but not up top. Many of them are under-braked, and touch down in corners, but they have a road presence that can't be matched by any other type of bike. Cruisers come with a lifestyle in a lot of ways, even if you don't expect it. If you care about what people think of you, then forget a cruiser - people WILL look at you and judge you for it. The trick with being a cruiser rider is not giving a crap about that.

Hope this helps you out.

8. But I want it all :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Good write up Voyager

9. Matti-san, I know EXACTLY what you mean about the V-rod. I'm currently on a 250 sports, but I plan to own a Yamaha 1700 Warrior one day... it might not be my next bike, but damn I want one in the garage eventually.

... next to the ZX10R perhaps :p

10. Nah bugger the cruiser off, get yourself something that handles. Personally I feel safer, as well as having a lot more fun, on a bike I can throw around.

11. Yeah this is me at the moment :LOL: . A bike goes past - "i want that one". Another bike goes past "no. I want THAT one" etc.

Thanks for the cool replies everybody. I suppose I should be sensible and stick to what I've got... but on the other hand.... Another good reason for just going and buying a GPX is that then we will have 2 bikes in the family, and then my husband will have one to use while he takes me out for learner rides - and then I can make up my mind which one to sell again later. You see, this is the thing in WA. I can't go out on the bike at the moment without someone in tow who has had their license for years. And goodness only knows when he will pull out his finger and go and get himself one. How many guys out there would be hesitating this long if their missus was moaning at them just to go and get a bike, any bike, just as long as they get it now? :LOL:

And to answer toecutter - I am on a 250 until I have passed my test (how long is a piece of string?) and then for another year at least. So a fair while.

Yeah Voyager - that was great, but I am still tossing up between feeling the forces and leaning into the corners, and having a 'badass' look on the cruiser :cool: I certainly don't want to bother with wheelies and doubling the speed limit though :grin:

12. yup - this is where my feelings are going at the moment......

13. Something like the BMW R850C (or a smaller cousin) - a cruiser that still has some brakes and so on, and a less laid back riding position - might work as a compromise (and still look right with your old man's scoot ;))

14. Sheesh, you have "had a few lessons", and you are conerned that your bike may not provide everything you want? Well yu had better get used to it, it's been forty years for me, and I still want almost every bike I see, hear, read about, or just plain imagine.....I want them all, nothing less will do.......

15. Everytime I do a lot of K's.....
    my back aches!
    I think I have just answered my own question :roll:
    Looks like a sports tourer for my upgrade :)

16. maybe you'd be best off getting something like a spada, bandit or the like - basic naked bike. Gives you an upright seating position, the throw-around factor, some semblance of sporty performance without the crazy fairings (that you will inevitably scratch or otherwise damage).

That said - the GV250 is probably the best of the 250 cruisers, and a damn nice bike. Get some hot pipes on it (they are available now) and enjoy it whilst you have it.

I would always suggest getting the type of bike upfront that you're likely to ride on later, ie: Sports, sports/tourer, cruisers, etc - as that way when you step OFF the 250cc and onto something that can really go, you won't do anything particularly stupid initially through lack of experience with that class of bike (you'll do them deliberately instead).

I went with a 250 cruiser (nothing in the 250 market was going to be good for me...), upgraded to a 1600 cruiser. No trouble. Had I shifted from a 250 sports to the cruiser, or from the 250 cruiser to a 1000 sports/tourer - I would probably have crashed badly by now.

17. It's not possible for one bike to be the 'ideal' bike, even if it's the bike you dreamed about for years before finally getting.

Thats why lots of long term motorcyclists either changed bikes on a semi regular basis (I've had 25 in the last 25 years) and/or own more than one bike (I've got 3 at the moment).

That gives one the chance to own say a tourer, a sports bike and a cruiser and a trail bike and a naked and and and :)

The only limit is ones garage space!

18. Naaa mate, I've got an aircraft hanger for the overspill..... :cool: :grin:

19. Is possible for you to borrow/hire a GPX for the weekend to test it out.
    I don't think a 5min ride will convince you either way.
    You like bits about both.

With that said the GV250 IS HORN!!!!!

pop over to korider.com and meet some fellow Aquila riders

20. Hello Helent

What area of Perth are you in ?

I might be able to bring mine around for you to have a test ride on if you wish.

Also remeber that a 250 cruiser isnt really a fast take off bike but is real comfortable to ride,and yes I am a little height and arm lenght challenged and found this one a real treat to handle.

PM me if you wish