Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cant get oil filter bolt off

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Tam0h, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Ive spent the last hour and a half trying to get my oil filter bolt off with no luck. Can anyone give me some advice?

2. More info. What bike?
  3. All good. Just put a bar over the ratchet to get more leverage. Cheers anyway!
  4. No probs, always someone here to help, don't be afraid to ask. Happy oil changing(y)
  5. Using a bar on a ratchet based handle is a recipe for breaking the ratchet assy.
  6. Its an old ratchet set. Due for a new one anyway just dont have the money right now aha
  7. Also i replaced the filter..filled it with the stated amount in the manual but the oil in the window hasnt moved at all..its a 2009 ninja 250r
  8. It also seems extraordinary that such force would be required to undo an oil filter casing.
  9. I thought so as well might be time for another casing as well soon
  10. Check the treads on the retaining bolt, check the threads in the housing, maybe someone used Loctite when it was last changed, or maybe it was just really overtightened.
    Is this a long bolt that runs through the filter casing and centre of the filter cartridge? Or is the filter casing threaded into the housing?
  11. Long bolt. Threads look fine. Cant see any signs of locktite..Must have just been really tight. I also found a random red switch that was custom wired in but cant find out where it goes too..Doesn't seem to do anything that I can see..
  12. Missile launcher - Check previous owners, may have been J Bond.
  13. Owner before me said the guy he bought it off installed it and he noticed months after he bought it...