Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can't get f&*kin ZXR250 to start

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by doggyguinness, Jun 2, 2012.

1. So this one has me stumped. Have a 1989 ZXR250 that I got a week ago. This morning was going to take it out for a run. Went to start bike and would crank but not start, thought battery might have been a little flat so threw on the charger for 20 minutes. Came back and started it up and let it run for about 5-10 minutes to warm up. Was waiting for a mate to come over so turned bike off and went back inside. When he arrived some 15 minutes later I went to start bike again. Started to crank but wouldn't start. Tried again and nothing, but could hear battery dying.

Battery? Took it out and went to battery place to get a new one. Guy said battery he had was slightly taller (maybe 5mm) but figured had enough room so took it home. Connect leads and started it up, boom started as soon as I touched the starter. Cool, so I turned it off and went about putting things back together. When I put the metal bracket on (one that bolts tank and seat support) got some sparking. Because the battery was slightly taller and the leads were connected on top it was enough for the bracket to touch the terminals. No worries, we turned the terminals so they were mounted sideways and give enough clearance. Turn on bike and nothing, not even a crank.

Weird we think. Well let's put terminals back how they were and leave bracket off to see if it starts. Nope, won't crank over. Have lights so we know battery is working.

Starter motor? Have a spare bike here so took the starter off that (unsure if it does work) and decided to see if it would work. Nope still won't crank over.

This is a photo of the starter we took off the bike. There is insulation on two of the wires only, should it be on all four wires?

198c3b01.

So the battery is brand new, showing over 12 volts on the multimeter, but have it on charge overnight anyway. When we put the starter back together I noticed it is harder to turn than the one off the spare bike. What's the simple way of checking if the starter is working? Did a google search and could only see a method for a car starter. This involved connected jumper leads to two terminals and then an earth. But my starter only has the one connection point. I'm sure this is electrical and my experience in that department isn't that great.

Am I missing something obvious? Got me stumped, we worked through it logically and tried to work out scenarios. When the bracket was connected and it sparked off the battery terminals could it have blown a fuse? Nope, check them and they all look fine. Know the battery is fine as it started when I first connected it. Next step will be to take it to a bike shop to get looked at.

Any ideas???

Attached Files:

2. For the starter use positive lead on the wire, and negative on the case. The engine and chassis of the bike are all connected to the negative or earth. There is also a starter relay in the circuit.
    My thoughts are the battery drained too much with the start (and no charge period after) and then the arcing would drain more.
    Report back after its charged for awhile

3. I have the starter off the bike now. So if I wanted to check them (have starter motors I can check) from a battery where would I connect jumper leads to? Is it possible the starter relay has packed it in then, where would I find the relay?

4. +1 to Vertigo1, two of the brushes are at +12 volts and insulated, two are at the ground/battery negative so not insulated. This is normal.

The Starter motor will pull heavy currents, you will see that from the large cable that runs from the battery, to the starter solenoid to the starter motor. So you can find the starter solenoid by just following that large cable back from the stater motor.

If you are game you can grab a screwdriver and short across the solenoid heavy current terminals. Be careful it will spark and you can damage the terminals or weld the screwdriver to a terminal :)

5. could it be a blown fuse?

6. Thanks for the help guys. Checked main fuse and swapped it with the spare I had. Checked all the fuses I could see and they all looked fine. Swapped starter again with the spare. Still wouldn't even try to turn over. Battery had charged all night and was showing as full.

Know it is electrical but now I'd just be clutching at straws. Loaded it on trailer this afternoon so I can take it to Biketech tomorrow. Sure it will be an easy fix, but with my limited electrical knowledge I just don't know where to look next.

7. Ok, My guess is the starter solenoid then. Or push button start switch or kill switch.

You have checked the kill switch position ????

8. So picked bike up today. Battery I got new on Saturday wasn't holding cranking amps so got another new one for them to use. Biketeck started at the battery and went through all the wiring, disconnecting and reconnecting everything, cleaning the connectors as they went. Apparently a few connections had corrosion on them (especially at starter switch). After doing all this the bike started. So basically a combination of a stuffed battery (due to shorting or just bad luck) and bad connections. They only charged me 2 hours labour, which included reassembly of airbox and fuel tank I'd taken off, so I was happy.

Rode back home (first ride licenced) and didn't miss a beat. Thanks heaps for everyone's input. Now keen to get bike out for a decent ride and have some fun.