Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

cant find oil! help please

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by HANDSY, Oct 17, 2009.

1. im hoping this doesnt get removed, not sure where it should go but need maximum exposure.

need oil for cbr250rr, have been to every servo around me and had no luck.
    does anyone know of any bike shops open tomorrow within 30mins of lilydale? or a servo where i can get the correct type oil for a cbr250rr?

need it so i can ride down to the island tomorrow!

thanks heaps

2. Any motorcycle oil will do, most large servos sell it.
    You got a large Shell in the area?
  3. really? because when i was having no luck i did some research and am of the impression that i should put only 10W-40 or 20W-50 semi-synthetic in it?
    the best ive found is 'Mobil RAC4T', its 15W-50, but fully synthetic? was hoping to find the Mobil Extra 4T but had no luck.
    been to shell in lilydale and bayswater, both had very limited stock
  4. jeez, it's a 20 year old bike, old sump oil would do
  5. Only if you mix in some gear oil... 1:5 i believe.
  6. supercheap will have something
  7. Supercheap, Autobarn, any of those sorts of places, almost always have a few types of bike oil available. You only need under 20 weight in very cold conditions, and over 40 if it's extremely hot or you're planning to race yourself. Semi synthetic would be good but don't stress over the exact specification, you'll be fine.
  8. From what I've heard, its advisable to run semi-synthetic on the CBR250 series as the newer fully synthetic stuff can cause clutch slip issues. However I've also read reports of people using full synth stuff fine.
    I personally used Silkolene Super 4 10W-40 Semi-synthetic from supercheap. Most of the motorcycle oil I've seen has a pretty wide viscosity range, so its all pretty good.
  9. Don't stress your bike will run fine. :)