Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can't find appropriate lane splitting thread?..

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Mia, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi hi! Long time reader and first time poster here :]

I'm going for my L's over the weekend and was wanting to read up more on lane splitting (pref relevant to VIC), but I couldn't find a thread in the Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance board? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Hi Mia,

First time poster/long time reader myself.

I think I know what you are looking for. In the test, you must be able to lanesplit between two moving trucks at freeway speeds or you will have to repeat the test, which means making another booking with hart.

I believe you are not allowed to put your foot down during this for safety reasons.
  3. Aren't the trucks travelling in opposite directions?

4. No, they're travelling at right angles to your direction of travel with a two metre gap between them - you've got to be able to get through that gap...

All you need to know for your test is that if any one asks about any sort of lane splitting or filtering, you should respond that it's always dangerous, it's thorougly illegal and causes birds to drop from the sky, kittens to spontaneously combust and the fairies at the bottom of the garden to drop dead.
  5. There's a how-to video somewhere...

google "ghost rider goes crazy in Europe".
  6. Aren't you supposed to touch the left hand truck with your hand?
  7. Hi Mia, welcome to Netrider! As you can see, we're all a friendly bunch here, ready to help with informative answers to all your questions, and we're never sarcastic or surly.

Before you start, you should probably and read the joining instructions, and make a post in the welcome lounge.

As you're currently a novice rider, I suggest you focus on things like, not falling off when changing gear, going straight on straight roads and turning when you reach a corner, figuring out what a clutch lever is and how to brake etc, before you even think about doing things like lane filtering.
  8. PS - Nice eggs.
  9. I wouldn't be thinking about lane splitting before you even have a license or a bike.

There's enough about riding to get a good handle on without throwing in the extra awareness that filtering/splitting requires.
  10. There sure is, like which glove goes on 1st ?
  11. Right glove :LOL:

Mia, hope you enjoy and get a lot out of the license course.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.