Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cannot rotate rear wheel

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Cris, Aug 17, 2014.

1. OK, I confess to mechanical doltage, but I'm trying ..

Trying to clean and lubricate my chain. I have the bike (Honda CB500X) up on a rear wheel stand, and the wheel will only rotate about 1/8 of a turn. It's in neutral. I've tried it while pulling the clutch in, same deal. There's no brake applied (couldn't be as I can turn the wheel that 1/8 anyway).

I must have missed something so glaringly obvious that I'm going to regret this post as soon as I figure out what or am given the answer. But what? For now, back to the garage to continue puzzling ...
  2. OK, as obvious as I thought. Part of the wheel's hitting the U bracket of the stand. Dolt.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. When it stops moving does it stop abruptly or is it asif the breaks are applied.
  4. I was going to say disk lock or similar.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. When I used the terms 'obvious' and 'mechanical dolt', I meant it. It was just one of the wheel bolts hitting the stand bracket. I had the stand too far back on the swing arm. All fixed now.

One thing that was easier than I expected was getting the bike up on the stand (and off again). All those youtube vids and postings about how to do it solo made it seem daunting. But that was actually very easy, at least for my relatively light bike.
  6. Dont sell your self short. You found the problem all by your self. We all had to start somewhere. Believe it or not but even i have made silly mistakes, but like you have figured it out. Also i agree that the videos on how to use stands make it more than it really is
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Cheers, it's just the self-deprecating Pom still infecting me after 16 years in Aus! Anyway, I've learnt a couple of things this morning, which is always a good thing.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. @blergen@blergen Plan to at some stage, but the bike + gear + onroads soaked up all the discretionary for now. Thanks for the link