Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

cancer stories with a happy ending, happy guys :> happ ha

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by D Stump, Sep 4, 2007.

1. there's been a lot of very sad cancer stories out there and i want to point out that we only really hear of the sad ones.

how about we share some of the many up lifting ones?

i have a neighbour who's 70 something years old. she got breast cancer when she was in her early 40s. she had chemo. then years later she got it in the other breast and had chemo. then, years later she got it in her arse and had chemo.

she's still kicking! cancer beaten!

the wife of my oncologist got cancer in her bones when she was a kid, she's 40 something now and still kicking!

cancer beaten!

my friends father gave up smoking years before they found a spot on his lung. they cut it out, gave him chemo and he died of something else [old age] 30 years later.

cancer beaten!

tell us your true story of cancer survival
  2. Re: cancer stories with a happy ending

Mum had breast cancel in late 40's; had a mastecomy & was in remission
    for 11 years before it came back at 60 & took her within 3mths.

Arse cancer? :LOL:

Hopefully I'll never have my story to tell you about. :p
  3. um, that wasnt quite what i was after. 11 years is a good efort but i would like to know the details of the stories with the unhappy ending. things like;

it was stage 3, agressive

the lump was " " months/ years old

more happy ones please!
    sorry bout your mum MG. it is a good thing she was in the later years and got 11 more. my mum had breast cancer surgery last year.

4. My mother was treated for cancer about 16 years ago and is still alive and well today.
  5. My grandmother had a double mastectomy when she was 35, she's now 82 and still kicking. :)

But in the last 6 years I have lost a wife 38 ,father 65,mother 60, grandfather 79,father inlaw 68 all to cancer. With some other family members undergoing treatment ATM .

But life goes on :)
  6. Our own Drew is a cancer survivor, but I'll let him tell his own story....
  7. vtrbob, that sucks mate.. keeping hanging in there.

With so many charities needinf financial assistance, I choose to only donate to 3 things.

1. Anti Cancer Council;
    2. Royal Childrens Hospital; and
    3. ALWAYS buy and Anzac pin
  8. I'm a survivor.

Nut cancer's the one to get, fellas. Off she comes, one quick shot o' chemo and off you go back to being a good little consumer, son. Plus, one ball works just as well as two.
  9. Oh, it's a testicle. I couldn't work out why the egg was so hairy and wrinkly :shock: :LOL:

Back on topic, I have a good friend whose daughter was diagnosed with a malignant kidney tumour at age 4. She had chemo and surgery and is still going great 10 years later :)

Scary stuff at the time, though.
  10. My Nan (who now lives with us) had breast cancer in 1975, had a mastectomy and never had a return of cancer apart from Melanomas which she is currently being treated for. Had her most recent op last Friday and was out and back home on Saturday. She is a bit of a misery guts at the moment but at 92 who wouldn't complain ;)
    She had 14 melanomas taken out from her neck shoulder and arm along with a skin graft taken from her leg and also 2 tumours from her nose.
    Here are some pics we took of her on the weekend.
    At 92 she is still beating cancer :grin:
    She spent her younger years laying out in the sun so she would be a good advert for slip slop slap :?

11. Well I hope to post up a "good" cancer story here soon! Thanks Loz ya made me laugh, my dad is getting one lopped off today :shock: I guess at 70 he won't need both of them :LOL:
  12. Mum was diagnosed 5 years ago with breast cancer. Aggressive sucker but was very small still. Had it removed, chemo and radiotherapy.

Clear for 4 years. End of last year, a scan revealed spreading to lungs and liver. Surgically removed, chemo and radio. Bam.. gone.

Then, as of 2 months ago, she was having headaches. Found another of these bastards on her brainstem. Again, surgery removed it, radiotherapy and its gone again.

So far scans are clear.

Not a happy ending (don't know how it will end yet....), but at least the cancer ain't gunna win without a fcuking fight eh? :)
  13. Yes Indeed.

The problem with these kind of stories is that the short version always leaves out a lot.

well in a nutshell...

I was diagnosed with bone cancer in my left leg at age 10, had to sell my little XR80 o got for Christmas the year before. Mum and Dad didn't want it around as temptation as were were told even if i managed to walk after this that i'd never be able to ride again and that it was unwise to do so.

i had my left femur cut out (yes the femur, except for the kne joint and hip section) MY fibula (little bone in your calf) was then grafted into where the femur was.

18 months of chemo made me sicker thani care to remember, stuffed my hearing and eyesight too just for kicks.

since then i've broken the grafted bone, had my growth plates destroyed to try and prevent my legs becoming different lengths, having one leg lengthened because they did :evil:

I hae 2 files at the RCH in Melbourne because i excedded the records allowed in one file. that and it weight about half a metric ton! :LOL:

finally got a bike again last year and it prabably is still unwise for me to be riding but at the moment it's something i want to do. Mainly due to the fact that if i break my leg or otherwise injure it, it may never heal.....family haven't said alot but i know what they are thinking....i think the same thing.

There is a lot more to this story so if you all really want to know i might see what i can do about a story with pictures. My Xrays are all the old film type though.
  14. Stump thanks for posting this topic up! You must have known I needed a bit cheering up, thank you very much. :)
  15. first cancer operation at age 23
    surgery every year for 10 years
    other ops not C related along the way
    10th surgery at age 33
    head on car accident 1999
    been fighting my body constantly with arthritis and Fibromyalgia as well

am told in remission 2007 :grin:

life and how we lead it will make us stronger ,If we choose to go on,
    i have always said
    dont allow anyone to disuade you from what you want to do or see or go
    get out there enjoy ,breath,live,love,be Happy no matter what
    the main thing that has got me through is Strength of Mind ,
    i fight as hard as i can to be able to ride my bike
    Nothings going to stop me Just Yet :wink:
    Be Aware,stay upright :biker:
  16. Got two positive ones for you.

My maternal grandmother survived pancreatic (I think) cancer and the consequent treatment at the age of 89. Died of an unrelated cause at 97, leaving me wishing I’d listened more attentively to her stories of going to the IoM TT for her honeymoon, and various tales of what my gradfather and his mates got up to on their bikes back in the early 20s.

My wife was diagnosed with thyroid cancer eight years ago. A lump the size of a tennis ball was removed, along with her thyroid, three of the four parathyroids and a lymph node. Cool Frankenstein’s monster “head sewn on†scar. A quick blast with radioactive Iodine and she’s been fine since. A major scan a few months ago showed she’s still clear (touches wood, crosses fingers).

Obviously she’s on a thyroid substitute for life now, along with calcium supplements to make up for the parathyroid defficiency but it’s a whole lot better than being dead.

Interestingly, the quacks reckoned the carcinoma could have been there for anything up to a decade, being a slow growing variety, and asked if there’d been any symptoms. Oddly enough she’d had difficulty regulating body temperature and weight for several years prior. So if anyone out there has any unexplained symptoms related to your metabolic rate, I’d recommend getting your neck checked.
  17. My father collapsed seeing flashing lights one week after my 21st birthday party. Rushed to hospital, a massive brain tumour was discovered. He was given two weeks to live without an operation and a less than 50% chance of even surviving the operation. The tumour was a large ball and was wrapped around his optic nerve.

16 years later and he's fitter than I am! The operation was a success, they got it all, and he's had regular checkups ever since and no sign of reoccurance.

Unfortunately the optic nerve was damaged, and he lost his peripheral vision and has a blind spot in the centre of his vision, so he had to give up driving, and riding his motorbikes. He also had to give up his specialty - he was an obstetrician/gynaecologist - so returned to work in medical administration. He later retrained in his late 60's in accident and emergency and went back to work in the A&E department at a country hospital for a while before he finally got around to "retiring" :roll: I use the term loosely because his retirement appears to be busier than his working life :LOL:

He's a tough old coot!
  18. well, the not so happy news: last wk not more than a cple of days after his b'day he was told he has prostate cancer. the good news: stay tuned...
  19. Not really in the same vein as some of the mega survival stories here, but this little fella gets to go to the vets in 2 weeks for a final checkup to confirm his remission status from the aggrssive malignant melanoma on his eye lid from last year.