Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Canceling "Extended Warranty" for a refund

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by ilegant, Jul 13, 2011.

1. deleted

deleted

2. I used to do warranty transfers.
    1 particular bike had destroyed a gearbox.
    Owner had drained the gearbox oil and forgotten to refill it, he wanted it rebuilt under warranty.
    Too many of them and I can understand charging for the check over.

3. Is the warranty with the manufacturer, or an after market warranty?
    With a manufacturers warranty, they cannot dictate where the bike is serviced. the only provision is that it be serviced in accordance with the service schedule by a licenced mechanic.
    However, after market warranties can stipulate where the servicing is to be done. You CAN negotiate with them to change where you get the bike serviced if, for example, you bought the bike iin Sydney and moved to Melbourne.
    As far as cancelling the warranty is concerned, you should be entitled to a pro rata refund for the unused period of the warranty, less and "administration" fee.

4. check the terms and condictions for any kinds of 'cooling off period'
    not sure if they relate to warranties but worth checking

5. Can you get a refund on something you didn't pay?

6. He paid for it when he purchased the bike.

7. That's not how I read it. He is the second owner and the warranty was paid for by first owner. The dealer will honour the warranty (subject to meeting conditions) but I'm not sure they would refund given it's now a different person.

8. That's how I read it too, as the OP didn't pay for it I doubt they would get a refund

9. Cheers for the replies, changed OP to answer the questions that came up.