Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Canberra- suburbs to avoid

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by typhoon, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Looking at options, the fiance can get very good $$$$ in Canberra at the moment..anyway, what are the suburbs that should probably be avoided if you were looking for somewhere to life. Don't care what reason, just let me know!

Regards, Andrew.
  2. anywhwere that has a kangaroo-loaded commute... :LOL:
    When I was last there we rode in from Wanniassa and there were a couple of dozen along the freeway... :roll:

3. Croikeeeey!

Regards, Andrew.
  4. No kangaroos in Wollongong, Andrew!

{The bunyips cleaned 'em out}
  5. I found canberra much of the same everywhere. Boring and nothing to do anywhere you went. The museum and civic is good for about 1-2 days of sight seeing then boom, nothing to do except go to work and that's it. (literally)

At least with a bike you can get out to ride, just bring thermals!
  6. And then Aunty Jack cleaned the Bunyips out of Wollongong - sort of like St Patrick cleaned the snakes out of Ireland :LOL: :LOL:
  7. We wouldn't be in Canberra on weekends, we'd be down the coast either with the inlaws, or building a house, or whatever. Bugger spending real time in Canberra!

Regards, Andrew.
  8. Canberra is the gateway to the Snowy Mountains, that's about all I can think of in terms of good.
  9. The thing with Canberra though, is that professionals can get lots of money working down there, I suppose it's compensation!

Regards, Andrew.
  10. That's what everybody says when they first move there :LOL: :LOL:

Once you've lived there for a while and get to know the place your opinion will change. It's a far better place to live than it is to visit :LOL: :LOL:
  11. Nice to see the usual Canberra-bashing going on.

If you want cheap housing, go either far north or far south.

As to the weekends, you obviously haven't ever been here and been shown the great rides we have.
  12. Oh, I've been there, and have friends who have lived there. My fiance lived there through uni too.
    At least the Magnas will blend in down there! ( I hate Sydney too, so don't get too wound up!) I'm not really a huge fan of cities.

Regards, Andrew.
  13. Yeah, there's a few magnas here.

Sadly it's being taken over by 4WDs, though.
  14. When I lived in Canberra for just over a year, I found that there were way too many Subarus on the road !

Andrew, you can always live in denial and find a place in Jerrabomberra ! :LOL: Its a suburb of Quenbeyan but the residents don't ever use the word Quenbeyan. Its still part of NSW, but you call yourself a Territorian . . . . and you don't have to change your NSW rego. :grin:

I lived in denial, notice I said when I lived in Canberra ! :rofl:
    I was actually living in Jerrabomberra.
  15. Have they rebuilt Duffy yet??

I was in Canberra a few years ago and the bush fires literally razed the suburb and most of the bush around as well.
  16. Some have, some haven't.

Cotter is still a mess. The wonderful pub there was razed, and never rebuilt. The carpark for it, where all the bikers used to gather when pausing on their rides, is still there, same as ever. But the forest of pine is just gone. Now you can see all the ridges, all the valleys. It's nice, but I miss the pine.

Kambah seems to be making the most of one section that was burned, they're building something next to the fire station, just off the Parkway.

Things are slowly recovering.
  17. I was working at the Rally of Canberra back in 2004 and couldn't believe the size of the damage considering the rally was based in the forest areas which looked like moonscapes.
  18. I hate the rally of canberra. It leaves gravel all over my favourite ride... :evil: