Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Canadian visiting Australia... :)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Duster929, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Hey everyone. I've checked out your forum and thought I'd join, maybe as a temporary member. I live in Toronto, and I'm active on a very similar forum in my area. It looks like you guys have got a very cool and vibrant community here, it's awesome. Hopefully you don't mind a visitor dropping in. :)

I'm going to be visiting a friend in Sydney for a couple of weeks, end of March / beginning of April. While I'm there, I'd like to rent a bike and take her for a trip for a few days. So I'm hoping to get some good info and advice from local bikers on a few things.

First off, anyone know a good rental agency in Sydney? The important things are that they have good bikes and are easy to deal with about stuff like damage/accidents/insurance. If they're a little more expensive, I don't mind, but I definitely want a hassle-free trip and I like to deal with reasonable, fair people. Any shady operators I should avoid?

Second, I have no idea where to go. If one were to take a girl on a pleasant 2 or 3 day trip out of Sydney, where would one go? Ideally a route that's not too demanding for a passenger that hasn't had a lot of experience with bikes, but that has some interesting scenery and good places to stop. Most importantly, good places to stop for the night with decent inns and restaurants. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Looking forward to chatting with some of you.

--- D

2. Welcome Duster

www.bikescape.com.au I think are the biggest who rent bikes in Sydney. What sort of bike you looking to hire?

Two/three days out of Sydney. You got a few nice choices;

1- Blue Mountains - nice easy trip a few hours out of Sydney, plenty curves with plenty of touristy things to see and do

2 - Huner Valley - wineries and more wineries. If that's your thing

3 - Cental and South Coast - some OK roads off the main highways

Just google the above and include NSW and you should get plenty of reading

Anything else just let us know
  3. Thanks. Yeah, I've seen bikescapes' site, and they look to be pretty good, although their insurance policy, as described, has a $5,000 deductible, making me liable for the first $5000 loss on the bike. Doesn't seem like much insurance coverage to me, but maybe that's a standard thing and I'll have to take my chances?

I'd need something good for 2-up riding, so something at least as big as a VFR. I'm leaning towards the BMW GS though, since I imagine I'll encounter some unpaved roads along the way and it might be more comfortable for the passenger. I need something that's a compromise between touring and a little fun. I've rented the BMW RT before, and it's a bit too big and heavy for my tastes.

Thanks for the route recommendations, I'll check them out. Something along the coast sounds good to me, since I live a very ocean-deprived existence stuck in the middle of North America.

--- D