Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Canadian Insurance company suggests banning some bikes.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Jaqhama, Apr 17, 2006.

1. This from the AMA website.

I'm undecided on the opinions voiced within the article myself.
    I mean the whole idea of insurance is too pay out to genuine claims in the first place?
    I'm also dubious about their claim it's costing them a hundred million a year...the riding season in Canada is short...few people would or could ride a motorcycle in a Canadian winter...so the claims cannot be for a year long period, more like three to five months at the longest.
    Anyway click the link below to have a look.

2. That is the most retarted thing I have read.
  3. Yeah, that is flat out silly, blaming your customers for you losing money?
    Who cares?
  4. Canada's population is roughly that of Oz. if the same takeup can be calculated, then you're looking at 450,000 riders (based on 3 percent riders/car drivers).

At say, $12,000 a bike on average, it means that 16,000 or so bikes are written off each year. That's around 3 percent crash rate.

Anyone have any idea as to how many riders have their bikes written off each year?

And there's the SMIDSY factor - how many of these riders were at fault?

And was this insurance overall (property and 3rd party) or one or the other?

The article doesn't really offer much information.
  5. Why don't they just do what insurance companies do in Australia, and price themseles right out of the market on machines or riders they're not interested in dealing with?
  6. It makes no sense.... they must be suffering from frozen brain syndrome.

*sticks head in freezer*

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What a moronic insurance company :LOL:

<chopper voice>
    If you're losing all your >fu#*ing< money insuring motorbikes - here's a revolutionary idea - don't >FU#*ING< insure them... eh! Or >fu#*ing< charge those pricks more money! You >Fu#*ing< bunch of stupid insurance fu#*s... you blokes are as dumb as Neville Bartos...
    </chopper voice>
  8. When I was looking at reselling motorcycle insurance - 1 in 8 motorcycles are written off/stolen at one point in their lives.

That didn't include all the other non-written off fixes.
  9. was talking to my bro today , he asked how much my registration was in australia, he asked cause he was told that registraions in canada was going to go up from 400 to 1200 ... oviously i cant say if this is true or false it is really just hearsay. anybody know for sure ?
  10. My mate in the USA pays $900 Us to fully insure his Harley, and ...wait for it... another $900 for his wife's Harley.

Then he has to insure his wife's car, his 4x4 and for all I know his bicycle.

He did say however that when he was knocked off his bike by a car some years ago his isurance comapny could not do enough for him.