Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can you wear an openface during your bike test?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Nivek, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Currently on Ls and I ride with an open face helmet. Will do my test in a couple of weeks and wonder if anyone knows if you I can do it in the openface.

When I did my L at Penrith, the instructor said we had to wear full face helmets and I'm wondering if this also applies when going for the "big one".

Hope not as it will not feel right for me..... :(

Cheers

2. Yes, definitely allowed open face.

3. You can wear and helmet that is legal and meets ADR standards.

4. Anything that's legal for use on the road should be OK. You could (though it wouldn't be very sensible) turn up in the briefest open face you can find with an AS sticker, budgie smugglers and nothing else.

Did you do your Ls with a private company? If so, they might have liability issues with open face lids.

5. the L's instructor i had just said that jaw reconstructions are up about 400% since scooter sales and open face helmets have sky rocketed.

:shock:

they look heaps cooler but jaws are good, especially for eatin steak.

:)

6. In SA, if you don't have a helmet and want to use the training centre's helmets, they give you a hair net and an open face!

At least the hair net is safe. :?

7. I wouldn't feel protected wearing an open face ... but thats just me

8. He was pulling your leg or speaking out of his arse.
    Maybe up 3% but that would be it.
    Most crashes don't involve the chin hitting the ground first and if the chin did hit the ground on a full face kiss your spine goodbye.

9. With respect smee, I'm calling bullshit on that one.

35% of crashes involve serious chin area impacts. The chinbar region is the most frequently impacted area on the helmet by area. Check out the percentages on the jpeg below.

Source: Dietmar Otte, Hannover Medical University, Dept. of Traffic Accident Research, Germany

http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/helmet-impact.jpg
    http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/swisher.htm

10. Some of which impacts wouldn't happen if the chin bar didn't stick out so much, in some of which, in the absence of a chin-bar, the brow or cheek areas of the helmet would touch down first rather than the rider's face, and some of which, whilst possibly resulting in injury, may not result in serious injury. Oh, yes, and some of which would be inherently unsurvivable regardless of the type of helmet worn.

There are many reasons for wearing a full face lid. Increased crash protection has not been conclusively shown to be a valid one for road riders.

11. Hmm ... in some cases, true. But even if there's only a 10% chance - or hey, a 5% chance - of a substantial part of my face grinding off on the road, it's enough for me.

At the very least I'd be after something with a pretty substantial cheek guard, and I wouldn't wear it at touring speeds, but now we're just back to opinions, which as they say, are like assholes.

12. Lots of things have not been conclusively shown, but sometimes you don't need a statistician or an excerpt from wikipedia to tell you something is or isnt a good idea.

I've faceplanted a couple of times, and smacked my chin guard into the bars a couple of times also. I still have all my teeth and my face intact (same as before anyway). I'm happy enough with that result.

13. Call me an ugly big-nose but.... I don't know about you, my nose, cheekbones and jaw project well past the brow and cheeks of open-face helmets.

Discarding good impact and excellent abrasion protection for the front half of your face because of a one-in-a-million chance that those 4cm of extra chin/nose length will make all the difference between your head striking the ground, and somehow skimming past the surface of the earth, seems a bit risky.

But, it's just a risk assessment. We all make 'em. I'm not about to tell open-face users to not use them.... And indeed, I own an open-face helmet specifically for use with a costume for toy runs and whatnot.

I'm just taking offense at the "if I didn't have a chinbar, my head wouldn't have hit the ground!" argument. Improbable and not a 'conservative' assumption to make.

With respect to smee's comment about kissing your spine goodbye - that's the sort of belief about steelcap-toed boots crushing your toes when you drop a 100kg plate of steel on your feet, or passengers being afraid of the fueltank residing between the driver and passenger in my MR2.

In all cases, if it's at the point where spines are snapping, steel toecaps are being deformed and cars are being parked in the cabin of my MR2, the situation's pretty far-gone anyway.

14. Back to the topic, don't forget to take a pair of sunglasses with you on the test to bro, everyone should.

15. Hence the fact that I used the word "some" with regard to the chinbar impacts.

I'm all for people wearing whatever they feel comfortable with, from no helmet at all, up to the latest and greatest race replica Arai.

Personally, I wear a full face, mainly for weather protection and the convenience of not having to fart around with goggles and whatnot. On faired bikes at highway speeds, I also tend to find that an open face creates an uncomfortable amount of lift.

However, I've done a lot of kms in an open face, as did most of my mates back in the UK, at least in summer. Quite a few of us fell off at one time or another too. All of us seemed to keep our faces.

As I've argued on other topics, the difference in risk between wearing an open face and wearing a full face, as compared to the difference in risk between riding a bike and not riding a bike, is negligible. If we took a truly objective view of risk management, none of us would ride at all :grin: .

16. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I was worried that I'd turn up and they would not let me do the test.

As for the discussion on open Vs full face - I really didn't post to start a range war. Sorry that this got a little off topic and a little tense, it was not my intention at all.

Cheers

17. Conflict is the sign of a healthy forum bro - and a good topic - well done :)

18. Different opinions are what this forum is about, none of it got nasty or vindictive so don't sweat it. :)

19. I suppose I do see more people riding scooters with open face helmets than people walking around with the bottom half of their face missing.

But maybe those people all hang out together, somewhere I don't go.