Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Can you own a larger bike on licence restrictions?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Scottatron, Mar 12, 2007.

1. All,

I was discussing updating the 250 (Victorian here) once my restrictions are over, and in the discussion my wife and I hit a query we couldn't answer.

Can one own a bike/register a bike they are not legally allowed to ride?

Such as, if I saw a dream 750cc (example only), would I be able to buy AND register it now.........but just not legally ride it until I am a fully licenced rider?

If anyone knows, feel free to share :)

Scott

2. You can own anything you want, jsut your not allowed to ride it on the road, but we all understand if you do. :wink:

3. Yield not to temptation
    For yielding is sin :LOL:

4. Yes, you do not even need to have a motorcycle license to purchase and register a bike.
    Don't be tempted to ride it though: fine, license points, taken from you via hoon laws, no insurance for yours or the other parties costs, and limited TAC coverage.

5. Track bike. WHoo :grin: :grin:

6. I don't see a point of owning a bike that you cannot ride it! Don't forget motorcycle depreciates just like everything else.. :?

7. If he wanted one second hand and if he saw a bargain coming his way I would fully understand the early purchase.

8. My son bought his R1 two months before his restrictions ended.

He wanted to get insurance in case it was stolen from his house ... but nobody would insure the bike because he wasn't licensed to ride it.

BTW .. he yielded to temptation and paid the $110 fine when he got caught.

9. LEGEND

It could have been so much worse :shock:

LEGEND

10. i'm guessing they refused even fire/theft yeah? insurance bastards i just don't like them :)

11. Couldn't even get it covered under household insurance.

12. You do not need a licence to obtain insurance so there are insurers out there who could provide cover.

Its going to depreciate whether you ride it or not. What is your point?

Justus.

13. someone might consider selling their 250 bike for a lams approved bike in victoria right now (before restrictions end) given that lams is definately coming in within several months (transport minister tim pallas has signed off) and there just might be an abundance of 250's on the market very soon

14. I was thinking down this path earlier this year, but I don't see LAMs coming in for quite a while yet.

15. then i guess you thought tim pallas (minister for transport) was lying when he stated at the vmac/mraa meeting that lams would be implemented within six months in vic..and has subsequently signed off on it..

read as follows:

What is happening with LAMS in Victoria? VMAC is unanimous in supporting a revised LAMS including the removal of 250cc high powered motorcycles ('pocket rockets') as novice rider motorcycles and adopting less fatiguing models of up to 660cc with a power to weight ratio of 150 kilowatts per tonne, with an assumed rider mass of 90kgs, in line with SA, NSW and ACT. This would assist more mature returnees and novice riders alike. (Experience in other States with a 660cc restricted power to weight ratio LAMS, show no abnormalities in the motorcycle crash rates or demographics since the introduction of LAMS.) Some legislative changes are required but the Minister stated, in his belief, that a revised LAMS would be implemented within 6 months. Good news there!

16. http://www.bikepoint.com.au/portal/tabID__501554/ArticleID__2335979/DesktopDefault.aspx

"Possibly within six months" is no guarantee, I wouldn't go selling your 2fiddy yet...

EDIT: Nice to see our own TonyE got his piccie in the paper...

17. Actually what I saw was "could be implemented". I'd put my money on 12 months at least.

About time though. :)

18. so how much money are you willing to bet then?,

the article says "would" not "could" be implemented, ( i guess i probably should be sceptical of government departments)

i have read elsewhere that the go ahead has been "signed off" by the minister but vmac wants to get the bike lams list correct, (cant find link though)

[/quote]

19. link in my post above Kara, the minister has been quoted as saying that Lams "would be implemented in Victoristan", so we're not arguing that point (i think we can all agree that Lams is definitely going to happen sometime in Victoristan), but he also said "once administrative issues were resolved" and "possibly within the next six months".

You know governments, administrative issues could take months, years decades. The key word is 'possibly', this is government spin for "in six months time we'll come up with a perfectly good reason for why LAMs hasn't been implemented yet and then promise it in another six months".

All's I'm saying is don't get your hopes up, governements esp. the Victoristan state government are notoriously slow to get their arses into gear...

20. Seeing as you're a noob and a dyslexic, here is a cut'n paste from the link above.
    The Minister stated that once administrative issues were resolved, LAMS (learner approved motorcycles) would be implemented within Victoria - possibly within the next six months.
    Now name your price. (I work in Gvt)