Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can you guess....

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Jun 14, 2010.

1. ........ what they are loading into the aircraft?

ATT00004..

It's a hard disk drive, back in 1956 ... With 5 MB of storage.

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first 'SUPER' computer with a hard disk drive (HDD). The HDD weighed over a ton and stored a 'whopping' 5 MB of data.

Do you appreciate your 8 GB memory stick now? Or your 160GBIpod?

2. Even the forkies a pilot lol. Memory storage devices are just getting smaller & smaller which is convenient.

3. sign of the times huh? now they have 2terrabyte HDD's that will fit in your pocket

4. i want one of them! awesome phat computer :D

5.  Top
  6. My father worked with computers from the mid 50s onwards. I particularly liked his description of the short term memory storage that involved bouncing waves up columns of mercury in glass tubes. As he put it, "If your programming wasn't there to catch the data after it had been to the end of the tube and back, you'd lost it."

Volatile memory doesn't even begin to describe the difficulties even a techno ignoramus like me can see in making such a system work.

7. Gees I miss my Commodore 64 with casette (tape) drive, taking 20 minutes to (hopefully) load an arcade game! =D>

8. yep, and those very first "arcade games" was an expert then.

A holiday job I had as a poor student in the very early 70's was working night shift at the ANZ bank "computor centre" in South Yarra. (err.. permanent to them) What an eye opener, just wanted to collect the $$$, had no ideas what I was doing, only had to hang out to late Feb, when I went back to uni. Anyway,the manager called me in after 2 months & they offered me a "career" in computers. I declined! Could have made a fortune compared to what you made as a designer! But those huge big machines they had did not inspire me one single bit..... and you should have seen the printer room!

9. Haha I remember as a boy when my dad brought one home and we sat in awe as we waited for half an hour for a tape to load. Led storm I think the game was.

He spent many a frustrated hour writing pages of code for some silly little question/number games that went for half a minute.

10. Ahh memories...first computer my parents bought us. Hated the fact that some games kept crashing :(

11. That's actually Drum storage Paul, not disk storage. The tracks were on a rotating drum. Probably an IBM733.

I've got a couple of platters at home saved from a Burroughs head per Track unit when it was finally scrapped. About 15 kilos each of solid brass with a magnetic coating.

similar to this one... (That's a serious disk - holds around 1Mb)

thumb.imgp2928-b7800.

That's a 15 inch ruler by the way...

The Brochure for the B3500 that used them.

I spent my early years on Control Data mainframes like the 3600 shown below... Lots of flashing lights and tapedrives with very large memory and CPU cabinets.

img028.

12. LED Storm was the bomb. Still have the music stuck in my head.

Quick YouTube of LED Storm C64 brings back some memories.

13. I confess my ignorance of the actual guts and bolts; someone sent me the pic and I posted it on because I thought it was funny :LOL:

My first hard disc was a bit smaller, but a bit bigger; a 20mb Tandon for my original XT!!

14. Good post actually - Drum storage was "interesting", there's a picture of an early drum here. The one in your photo was a much larger capacity.

There were some really "interesting" storage mechanisms back then. The NCR CRAM (Card Random Access Memory) used flexible magnetic coated mylar cards hung in an array. When a particular card was needed it dropped down, around the heads (mounted on a drum arrangement) and back up again. Occasionally there'd be a double drop when two cards dropped at once. At this point there'd be a very loud noise as both cards got jammed on the rotating heads. And instant panic from the operator.

Another interesting one I worked on was attached to an !BM 1410 system. The IBM 350 Disk array

[​IMG] It was an array of disks and the two heads moved up and down and in and out to the appropriate track.

It was nearing the end of its life span and the heads would sometimes stick on the up and down motion. When that happened you'd open the cabinet door and give the offending arm a whack with a brass edged ruler to unstick it. I somehow don't think that works with a modern drive :)

15. The word hadn't even been invented back then... Computers were still regarded as exotic :)

16. .. although they WERE largely presided over by men in white coats with lots of pens in the top pocket......

17. Actually most of the senior people when I started were women. White coats were compulsory though... :)