Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can you flood an EFI engine?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Zerby, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Hi all,

My bike wouldn't start this morning, starter motor is fine, EFI dash light says all is good and I'm assuming the engine is turning over because I can hear the exhaust blipping away.

So the first thing I think of (if it's none of the above) is to clean/replace spark plugs...correct? What else could it be?

Now since I tried to start it quite a few times without anything actually firing, could I have flooded the engine? I would have though that an EFI engine would have the ECU programmed to not inject fuel if the engine doesn't fire. Can anyone confirm this?

- Zerby

2. Sure can. If you're not getting spark, she'll foul. Water on the HT leads or coil pack can short out the spark or many little electrical gremlins can cause no spark.

A weak battery can also do it because injectors take a lot longer to open with a lower voltage, the ECU should have a correction table to significantly compensate for injector dwell during cranking