Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can you explain to a blind person what colours are?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by wang chung, May 28, 2006.

1. ?

assuming they have been blind from the start.

2. "Karen Allen's Teacher"?

3. Not sure but wouldnt think so.

4. i would like to know what it feels like to have no sense of colour or sight, just to know what it's like for people like that...

would be a completely different perspective on the world...

in answer to the question, i doubt it.. but interesting thought!

5. There is a resturant on St Kilda road called The Dark Side where it is completely dark once you get inside, they guide you to your seat, and you have to eat in the dark.

If you want to go to the toilet you have to put up your hand and they guide you out the back.

The Waiters and waitresses all wear special night vision goggles.

I went there one night and it was a real eye opener ( pardon the pun ) and well worth it .

My brother is pretty much completely blind due to rubella and it was a real insight into what he faces in everyday life.

http://www.thedarkside.com.au/2.html

6. I wouyld describe the colur as you would moods.
    Since they have no concept of light you define red as a warm feeling, blue as cold green as the smnell of a forest etc.
    Remember they have no concept of light and colour yet they can associate smells feelings etc with colours, just not the same way as you or I.

7. sure can. Red is light with wavelength around 650nm, green's about 530.

8. Nice analogy... would have to agree...

9. Which leads to another question... What '6th senses' are the rest of us missing - and how could they be explained to us if we have no idea how to experience them?

10. I know this one kid who see's dead people

11. I would probably go the more technical comparison. This explanation doesn’t actually tell you what colour is, but more how a sighted person sees the difference in the terms of touch.

Imagine a very smooth material that very slowly gets very rough, this then is the comparison between colours. Colours very slowly blend into each other so that unless their is a sharp change in colour/roughness their is no real way to see the difference the various shades. You could also use the red as being very smooth, green is medium, and blue is very rough, and all other colours are a blend of these.

To continue the comparison, use the weight of an object too explain brightness.
    Let a very light object (you ever tried too feel the differences in a very light object? I mean and object that is so light you cannot even tell if you are holding it), be the equivalent too a very low saturation colour (meaning too little colour to give detail to the object).
    Let a very heavy object (too heavy to lift) = to too high colour saturation. IE you then cannot feel all what the object is; conversely, you cannot see all the features of the object, as it is too dark too see reliefs.

I know it is not good, but it is really hard too explain anything to someone that has no reference points.

12. Blind persons don't know about colours. But on the other hand they don't have any problem with colour-blindness.

13. . . . that sense that Affleck has in Dare Devil !
    :grin:

14. That would be really hard!!

I find it hard to explain stuff to people without showing them..

I would be like well red is just red lol

I wouldn't be able to do it

15. Hence the analogy of using their other senses to associate colours.
    As for a sixth sense I would say intuition whgere you just "know" things because you "sense" that it is right and it is.

16. wow, what a question !

I thought the jumbo jet sitting on a giant treadmill was hard !
    :p

:cheeky:

17. I have a mate that lives around the corner from me, he is colour blind. A few years back his woman walked out on him and left him to raise his 3 girls.
    One evening I called in to visit them and he told the eldest of his kids to start cooking the dinner, I was a bit surprised, this kid was only 10 years old, had been at school all day and yet still had to cook the dinner. I stepped in a proceeded to cook them dinner. After the kids where in bed I decided to ask him why it was his eldest's job to cook when he could/should have done it since he was home all day.... he responed with...Im colourblind, I can't tell when the food is cooked.

At first I thought he was joking with me, but after a long discussion I realised he wasn't joking. The girls now live with their mother because he wasn't able to look after them properly. Im sure there is alot of other things that were affected by his colourblindness apart from cooking, but it contributed to his sense of uselessness and he just gave up trying. The girls are much better off with there mother.

18. I find that a bit hard to believe. I am seriously colour blind. There is a standard test that you can take at the eye doc's that consists of 40 cards (called the ishi hari test or something like that). I can get the first card only and fail the remaining 39. If you see black and white, you can get the first card only. So I feel qualified to comment.

I do agree that colour blindness makes cooking difficult. I struggle to see if a steak is red or brown, but I can still cook (try not to though :) ). You don't need perfect colour vision to cook stacks of things.

I think the colour blindness may have been a good excuse to get out of cooking.

19. I agree with you 100%...he just used it as an excuse as to why he was not cooking himself. He was wallowing in his own self pity and looked for excuses at every opportunity, this was just one of them.

20. why is it that we are brought up that each colour is what it is. we are taught blue is blue, green is green, red is red, etc... what if blue is green and so on. i have always thought about it and the only way you can see how this works is by trying it on ur own kid. when they grow up and learn the colours, you teach them that the colour red is yellow or another colour, and each colour is different to what we have been brought up with. my thoughts but highly unlikely that i will try it on my own children when i have kids