Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can you claim tax back on bike parts and expenses?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Spud Gun, Apr 5, 2006.

1. I am just wondering if its possible to claim the tax back on bike parts and expenses that go toward getting a rep-write off or project bike on the road. Anyone done this?

2. i cant imagine why you would be able to claim anything back??? you would have to show a link between the bike project and generating income...

then again it is self assessment :grin:
  3. maybe if you create a business that "repairs bikes" you could write it all off on tax or something...?
  4. If you use the bike for work even as a percentage of the total usage and show it in a log book (key thing) then you can claim that percentage back and the claim the same percentage of the repairs and maintainence. (I think this comes under the Work Expenses of the Tax Pack and not the Car section but you'd have to check but it does say motorbike in there).

But if the bike isn't on the road then its hard to argue that the log book is legit.