Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can you change a tyre?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dobbo, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Today l read an article in the local rag, about an NRMA roadside repair man, who is retiring after 40years of assisting with roadside breakdowns. Asked, 'what was a notable change in customers requirements?' He replied that he was amazed at the amount of people that cannot change a flat tyre on their own car!
    He said that he would change 3-4 flat tyres each day, for people that had no idea how to do it. Something that when he started out 99% of drivers could do themselves.

I realise that some people, may know how to change a tyre themselves; however, choose to call the NRMA roadside assist line because they pay for this service.

I myself have helped out a heap of people, change a flat tyre on the roadside.
    When my old man taught me to drive, he made me jack the car up and remove each wheel to rotate them, including the spare. He reckoned, if you can't change a flat tyre, you shouldn't be driving.
    I have since made my own sons do the same thing with their own cars.
    As we are in a rural area, often there is no mobile telephone coverage, so l believe as a car driver ( or motorcyclist) you should be able to do basic repairs.

I'd be interested to know how many here, have actually change a flat tyre, physically done it.
    I hear a few say, that they 'KNOW' how to change a tyre on a car! But, have never physically done it themselves.

Its not my intention to embarrass anyone, it is just something l was thinking about after reading the newspaper article, and l know this forum has a good cross-section of Australian society.

Maybe, my next thread will asked the samething about changing/reparing a flat motorcycle tyre ?

2. I am from the same sort of background Dobbo, changing a tyre was a necessary skill. But then tyre punctures seem to have been more common in those days. Tyre technology, better roads I am not sure why but that's the way it is.

The second thing is many modern small cars have narrow speed limited tyres. If you have such a vehicle people should know the tyre is generally only rated for 80km/h. High end cars may have run flats so again no spare.

But I have to agree, you should know, how to change a tyre, how to check oil, how to check and fill radiator. What a worn tyre looks like and feels like to drive.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Not knowing because you've never had the experience is one thing, but it's such a simple task that if you can't figure out HOW to do it, you're probably an idiot.
    Although a lot of people probably would be capable of figuring it out, but just take one look at it and say "I can't do it!" and don't even try. Sad really.
    The computer age is dumbing down my generation when it comes to real world knowledge and problem solving.

So yes, I know how and have done it a bunch of times.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. More times than I'd like to remember, both cars and bikes!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. I can and have not only changed a tyre, I can plug a flat when I run out of spares in 40 degree heat.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oh and if you all wondering what hubby was doing at the time, he was busy plugging a spare and belting the rim back into shape. Stupid bull dust. 7 tyres in total on the last years trip. Unbelievable. Never had it happen before.
  7. I've changed car wheels many times, most memorably when I was on crutches with a broken left leg. Don't think I've changed a car tyre though I have changed a motorcycle tube years ago.

I wouldn't blame the computer age for people's lack of any mechanical aptitude - I'd blame the service/liability age where anything must be done by a licensed technician who's insured for any liability. Most of the people who can't change a wheel have probably never put a spanner to a nut. How many people service their own cars/bikes? While it's under warranty there's good reason not to. It's a long time since I changed the oil in my car, while I lived in a flat it was very much frowned on.

And then there's the people who just don't want to get dirty
  8. #8 CraigA, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    I am assuming you are talking about changing out a rim with a flat tyre with the spare wheel and not actually changing tyres off/onto the same rim?

Yes I can change my own and have done so many times over the years. I would have changed 3 in the last 12 months on work vehicles ualone.

On my own car, it always seems to happen on long road trips with family in tow, trailer attached and a full boot of kids crap, so usually unloading/finding the spare takes longer than the actual tyre change.

I have also helped out the odd stranger who was struggling with changing out a spare wheel, as that's the type of bloke I am. Apparently its not as easy for some due to lack of strength, knowledge or ability, so I see it as my duty as a capable human to help others who cant where I can.

FWIW, I also buy my bike tyres online and swap them out myself. Once you are set up for it, it actually isn't too hard once you work out how to do it.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. #9 Oldmaid, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    Yes I have had to change a flat tyre...back in the day with inner tubes...I used to also do my own brake pads in those days as well...
    But in more recent times I cannot...rpt with me...cannot, undo the friggen wheel nuts in most circumstances...those bloody air nut gun tightening thingos they use in tyre places...and I am pretty strong for my size...so what do you do...?
    Luckily I have not had a flat tyre since 1977...but I do have my very own spare tyre about my person these days ;)

You could also ask how many people carry and could use battery leads without murdering their battery...clutch start a car or bike?
  10. Wait until I ( or someone just like me) offers to help of course! LOL

Glad to help out with wheel nuts or lids on jars as long as you are willing to accept help. Its what I do!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yes, I've changed a few tyres in my time. Including for a male friend who didn't know how. He was a city boy and I was raised in the country.
  12. is the inability to do simple mechanical things a modern measure of affluence? or modern laziness? or?
  13. A bit from column A and a bit from column B. I know my father will spend a day fixing a $25 toaster. (He is slowing down in his 80's) it would not occur to him that he could buy a new one as a much better use of his time. :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. nah its all about the need to do it ... desperation is the mother of invention.
    When RACQ or equivalent is just a smart phone call away then why would anyone need to do it themselves.

BTW I would not claim to be any expert in tyre changing... I would google for assistance =D
  15. Sitting on the porch here chewin and spittin baccie...'membring ole times...
    Nothing wrong with tinkering...keeps the mind active and focussed cjvfrcjvfr it gives him satisfaction to fix it :)
    I was taught to darn socks and thread new elastic in the undies and the jimjam tops...gawd I'm an oldmaid!
    Used to go to the tip and bring back more shit than you took to it...got my first surfboard from the tip...and when I first moved out with the boyfriend, his dad fixed up an old washing machine from the tip for us...lasted about 20 years longer...about the same state as the relationship...needed a good belt and overhaul ;)
    No value in much these days...just chuck it out the front of the house and go buy another one... :(
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. I don't let tyre places tighten up my my wheel nuts with the ratchet guns. Happy for them to use the guns to a point but always get them to do the final torqueing by hand. I also usually redo the nuts at home with the torque wrench and apply copper grease to the studs so the nuts don't bind or seize.
    When I used to drive rally cars, my record for changing a tyre from the time I stopped to the time I was mobile again was less than two minutes. It helped that the spares and tools were where the back seat would be in a normal road car.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. On a related note, have you guys noticed a dramatic fall in the quality of the wheel spanners that come in the cars' stock toolkits? I can attest that at least in X-type Jaguars the spanners are absolutely useless.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Last time I did one was for a couple of Malaysian tourists with a baby in the car who were stranded on side of the road near Cape Otway lighthouse in an area with no mobile reception and it was early evening. I reckon the nearest Roadside Assist would have been Port Campbell, Colac or Apollo Bay depending on who their car hire company used so they were gonna be in for a long wait. They were really nice and the lady tried to give me $50 once the job was done, I refused. I had them on their way in about 20 mins (took a while to figure out how to release the spare wheel from under the car) and hopefully it gave them a good memory from their trip to take home with them. So it's definitely handy to know how to do it, particularly if you are heading to remote areas with no mobile coverage.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. hmm 2hrs waiting on the side of the road, or change tyre in 10 minutes and keep going?
    I know which I would prefer :)

the "tyre lever" nut spanner thing is useless.. everyone should have a cross-brace type.. and if your fancy, a plastic sleeve so you can spin it :) (or if your not fancy, a slit piece of PVC pipe so you can spin it)
    plus people should know how to use the supplied jack with their car...
  20. .....and to remember to loosen the nuts BEFORE jacking up the car...

Every damn time (lol)
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1