Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can Vic police confirm interstate licences & reg?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Johnny O, May 25, 2009.

1. Hey guys, anyone know if Victorian police can check & confirm the validity of interstate licences & registration on the spot?

2. I know for a fact that nsw cops can lookup victorian regos so I'd say it is totally possible.

3. I also know the NSW guys can. Happened to me when I was caught doing 190 in a 100 zone...

Let me off which was nice :grin: Ended up talking about bikes for 20 minutes. Had a go at me about my chicken strips... :LOL:

4. 190 in a 100 zone?!!!! fark you lucky man Dougz :grin:

5. Yes, they can.
    It just takes a minute or so longer than a normal rego etc. check, as they tap in to the other states system.

Grab someones scanner and have a listen one time! :)

6. I don't think the scanner thing works anymore Joel, most places are on a secure network now.

Shame, there used to be an awesome website that you could stream it over.

7. The Police & Fire Brigade in metro Melbourne are now on a digital network which is near impossible to monitor via a scanner, Haven't tried lately by the Ambo's may well be as well..

Back when you could listen in I hear many a request for NSW & SA rego checks and that was way before the computer networks were linked together properly.

8. Metro work on digital, however there is still compatibility issues with their rural counterparts, so a fair bit is still broadcast through the old network repeaters.

9. Awesome sauce.

Shame, it wouldn't be as interesting as listening in on the bankstown exhange at two in the morning.

10. Rumour has it that they will be changing our area over in the not too distant future. I don't know the details just a rumour I heard.

11. hope the rumour is wrong. I like listening to the scanner and knowing when it's time to move on. lol

Quick question. how long have Bega HWP had the blue marked car, and did it replace the crunch VE.

12. Nah. The metro & rural networks are completely separate and vehicles working the boundary are simply fitted with both radios.

I note with interest the incompatability between the various radio networks has rated a mention in the Bushfire Royal Commission of late as well.

Personally I can live with different agencies having separate networks but whenever interstate teams turn up they need to bring their own repeaters with them which also affects local non emergency users of the frequency they hijack. I heard from a source that the ACT Fire Brigade had their repeater trailer stolen from the Daylesford area during the fires.

13. I would imagine they can, even 10 years ago I could access that info through a system called NEVDIS (National Exchange of Vehicle and Drivers information system).

14. +1 for NEVDIS. I used to work for the outsourcer that was managing this system.

It runs 24/7 and is/was used for all of the large juristictions in Australia.