Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can they make you take it back to their shops?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by monkey nuts, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but......

Can the bike companies make you take your bike back to one of there shops for service work? Im thinking of buying a new bike and talking to the salesman at the weekend he told me it would have to go back that "brand of dealership" for servicing or my warranty would be void. I've asked a few people and no one seem to really know 100% for sure if it does or doesnt effect your warranty if it's not serviced at a dealership.
    What is the actual law on this?

:?: :?: :?:
  2. Its not a law. Of course you can get it serviced anywhere, BUT some warrantys state that to not void it, it must be done by an official suzuki, honda, whatever dealership to get the servicing done. Most just say it has to be one of their approved ones - you can inquire as to which ones are approved.
  3. It is illegal to say what he has said, you can't void a warranty for getting a bike serviced by a qualified mechanic. Try the ACCC webiste for the legal terminology and the applicable ACT etc.

Note: YOU CAN have a bike / car whatever serviced by any qualified mechaninc.
  4. Sales people say you have to bring it back there for service - they are 'just saying that'.

The documentation with your warranty is more carefully worded as sort of a 'strong recommendation' designed to scare ya :)

Vehicle manufacturers can not void the warranty on your motorcycle for taking it to someone else for a service, as long as that mechanic is certified.

HOWEVER, if something happens to your bike that is the result of that other mechanic doing something wrong, the manufacturer are under no obligation to fix it for you under warranty: that becomes between you and the mechanic...
  5. Spot on mate and try to PROVE 100% that it is a warranty claim is PIA.
  6. What could a mechanic do to void a warranty?
  7. .. and that the mechanic follows and completes all requirements outlined by the manufacturer that your bike requires at the relevant service interval.
  8. Something wrong.

Forget to put oil in it before running?

Blows up?

That ain't warranty. That's retarded operator/serviceman. The point is: a reputable dealer would cop that on the chin "We screwed up, we'll fix your bike." A good mechanic would do the same.
    A dodgy bloke down the road might give you hassles, denials, stuffing around etc because he doesn't want to cop the cost of his mistake.
  9. Of course you can never remove statutory warranty - ie. implied warranty which suggests that the product must be fit for purpose and in doing so much last a 'reasonable' amount of time.
  10. Not service the bike according to the manufacturers service requirements outlined in your manual. Eg. wrong grade of oil, incorrect spark plugs, forget to check bolts are at the correct torque, incorrect filter type, etc.
  11. Oh, keep in mind nothing "voids" warranty - unless we're talking about removing a seal on something which is sensitive to moisture/air/light etc [which is ACTUALLY just you choosing to damage the componentry].

Warranty guarantees a product against faulty parts or workmanship.

If something is wrong due to either of those and nothing else - it's warranty.

If a fault can be related to negligence, or you broke it: it isn't warranty.
  12. It might be worth totting up the extra costs of dealer servicing over the warranty period, to keep the warranty valid (or at least easily claimable).

A mate in the UK once did this for a small commuter bike and found that, for what the servicing was going to cost, he could practically buy a complete replacement bike :shock: . Needless to say, the dealer never saw him again.

That's an extreme case, but doing the cost-benefit exercise might be instructive anyway.
  13. another point is dont be afraid to shop around. Even different dealerships within the same brand will differ in cost of servicing. Give your business to whoever wants it most.
  14. Most dealers like to see their bikes for the FIRST service (should be able to negotiate a free first service anyway) but really you can get a service done by the book from any reputable place.
    Exotics could be different though just for mechanic experience but a 4 cyl Jap bike by and large is a 4 cyl Jap bike.
  15. True, I'd be pretty dubious about having a non-Ducati mechanic playing with Desmo valve clearances.

Most big Japs these days just need fluids and filters, a good visual inspection and an occasional valve clearance check. Not much variation there.
  16. It is done this way for 2 reasons.

Firstly manufacturers want people who are trained and have the recources to follow there guidelines for service and repairs. Just like any kind of goods ie electonics and computers. The manufacturer would rather have someone who does the same thing every day with the same models to carry out works as they are more likely to know all the quirky parts of each bike. Thus helping manufacturers regulate how servicing is being carried out. So they can cover themselves in terms of if something is done incorrectly and you have had it service by a local all round mechanic they cant prove or dennie who is accountable for the issue.

The second reason is. Its a great big money making scheme. Charge a rediculous amount for labour and parts because you get told you get "genuine" parts and "Factory Trained" Technicians etc.

A mate jus got told his bike will cost him 350 for a 1st service. How? All they do is check fluids tighten a few things up. Couldnt possibly take more than an hour.

I was told by a mate who sells cars that they quite often sell cars at a loss . Because they know they will make money on servicing. Which gives you an oppoutunity to grow the relationship with the customer. Especially with bikes as you would often stand around looking at more accessories or eying of the next bike. It give the salesman an oppourtunity to convert your boredom into $$$$.

Well thats my take on it. I can understand why you would do it. It makes your case very black and white if you need to make a warranty claim. and it can look better when trying to sell they bike. it COULD potentially get you a few extra hundered buck more.

17. Have a read:

18. So reading that quote from Kawasaki the saleman is full of crap and has lied to me. Has he done this because:

A He need to be trained on the laws of dealer servicing and was a genuine mistake

B He's trying to scare me into pouring more money into his dealership

C He's just a cockhead.

19. I think they are just going by whatever is stated in their warranty and service book, but the truth is the ACCC has already steped in and changed that because they weren't giving freedon of choice to the consumers so it was a bit of a scare tactic to get the monopoly going.

Here is the ACCC bulletin you need to show them, read page 3:

ACCC Consumer Affairs April 2005

So basically, as long as you use the recommended oil, and genuine parts you are free to get your bike serviced by any licenced motor mechanic without voiding the warranty.