Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can the clutch lever/cable adjustment affect performance?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Dice, Jul 12, 2008.

1. I ride a 2007 GPX250R. From early on I set the clutch lever in a way that it is closer to the handlebar, so easier for me to use as I don't need to stretch my hand so far. I have only done about 2,200KM on the bike so far. This week I returned it to what I believe is the factory setting (lever hangs out all the way and is probably a bit stiffer). Today was the first time I had a chance to ride the bike after changing it and the bike seems to accelerate a lot quicker!

Could this have something to do with the clutch adjustment or not? ( Or is it my imagination).

2. Re: Can the clutch lever/cable adjustment affect performance

It is totally your imagination, if you think that clutch adjustment had something to do with your performance increase, yes indeed!

Make sure you have given it the correct amount of free play now:

At the ball end of the lever the clutch should move in and out about 1 cm without any tension whatsoever.

If you adjust the clutch to have too little free play the clutch will start to slip under load - that will be a definite performance decrease.

Cheers ;-)

Trevor G