Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can someone please teach me how to service my bike???

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Tiger_grrrrl, Dec 29, 2008.

1. I've had my bike for a year now and I haven't serviced it yet past the odd oil top-up and chain clean and lube, mostly due to a lack of free time and being scared that I'll stuff it up. Anyway I've got a couple of weeks off work now and it would be the perfect time for me to learn how to look after my little girl.

I've got a GPX250R with ~23000km on the clock. I also have beer but no garage or tools. I am willing to exchange the beer for the use of garage and tools along with a watchful eye to make sure I'm not doing the wrong thing.:beer:

If someone is willing to help me I will be eternally grateful. :grin:

Also I need to know what parts I'll need for my service and a good (cheap) place to get them from. (I'm in Richmond, Vic)
  2. Yep. If you want to ride over to Hoppers Crossing I'll host a spanner day/BBQ.
  3. Sounds sweet. When would be a good time for you and what should I bring with me (other than the bike and beer of course)?
  4. I was going to have a spanner day on the 10th Jan (Saturday). If you can't wait this long we can do it after work one night. Oil will take about 30 mins depending on which fairings need to come off. Check, adjust & lube chain will take 10-15 mins. I can show you how I clean my chain, though it would be good if our local chain cleaning expert (Hi Rob) would like to come over too. Do you have a service history on the bike? How many kms have you had it for?
  5. Be realistic. If you are needing to buy tools, spend your time and have space for servicing your own bike you need to evaluate the cost / benefit.

For a $200 service once a year, would blow 3 years of self service to buy you a decent torque wrench.

Unless you have (or can convince) mates to chip in some way, go the local (hopefully) trust worthy dealer.
  6. The benefit of understanding your motorcycle more than just being able to ride it is massive. It's not just a $$ matter. Being able to spot a defect on your bike might save your life.
  7. Jesus, what's this obsession with torque wrenches? Bugger that.

In my experience no mechanic is trustworthy. I'd only taken bikes maybe three times to a mechanic and each time I'd had something fcukup. One was the carb manifold overtightened, which split as I was riding around the corner. Another was an undersized brake disc put on the other was half a dozen stripped bolts around the engine case.

The odds are your bike isn't even going to be touched by someone who gives a shit. It'll be a pimply 16 year old getting paid $6.00 an hour who's still off chops from pulling cones the night before.

At least when I service my bike I know what i've done. Also, the knowledge and skills you develop are invaluable to learning what the bike does and how it behaves.

Besides, a motorbike is such a personal thing it's almost... well, spiritual to work on. Anyone can buy a bike. But to work on it yourself, that's what makes you a "motorcyclist", as opposed to just a "motorcycle rider".

Thats my wank for today.

Download a copy of the workshop manual and if you need anything you can borrow my tools. I'll also give you a hand if you need it, I think I'm in the same suburb as you.
  8. That's what I was thinking.
    Since when did changing the oil, filter and plugs require a torque wrench at all let alone one costing 600 bucks. :?
    For 200 bucks you can easily buy all the consumables needed for a service AND all the basic tools needed. Every service after that just means money stays in your pocket - rather than going towards the mechanics next bike.
  9. Yet:

Hmmm, perhaps the use of a torque wrench may have prevented these things from happening.
  10. Bullshit, it's called feel.

I've had my donk, and my old DR engine in gazillions of non-critical peices. All went back together without a torque wrench in sight.

You are all turning into pansies.
  11. Fair enough mate, if the particular bolts had been tightened using a torque wrench the carb manifold would still have been overtightened and the engine case bolts would still have stripped. :roll:
  12. Anyway, this 'pansy' has a torque wrench. If only for the re-assurance that what should stay on, will; and what shouldn't thread, won't.
  13. Unless your doing up head bolts or rod/mains bearings there aint much need for a torque wrench.
    All the tools you need is
    screwdrivers $30ish will get you a nice set from bunnings (stanley are ok)
    metric socket set i have a kickass sidchrome rachet set that goes 10-19mm cost about $250, but a cheap set for $50 would do it easy
    metric spanner set i have a repco 3/8th set as well as 1/2 set, but even cheap $50 job will get you started an do most of what you need.
    Allen keys $10
    Might even be able to get away with just the spanners.

Pull farings off to access sump plug/filter
    Undo sump plug and drop oil into a bucket/whatever
    Undo filter
    Refit new filter(pour a little oil into before refit)
    do up sump plug
    fill with oil

Your bike may actually have a toolkit that means you wont even need to buy any tools.
  14. Welcome back JD.

TG, Port wont steer you wrong.

Torques are particularly important for properly compressing and seating gaskets.

TG - if you really want to get into bike work and what tools to get, go buy yourself a book called "101 sportbike projects". Here's the website: http://www.101sportbikeprojects.com/
  15. Funny, I've had to loosen and retighten the hose clamp holding the manifold inumerable times in the past year. No problem yet. Same with all the bolts on the case. Funny that...

Anyway, I'll bet y'all london to a brick that your torque wrenches are off spec anyway.

This beind said, if I'd pulled the barrel off, was fixing something with USD forks on the triple clam etc I'll be the first person to PM you for a borrow of the wrench.

It just frustrates me how people seem to grossly overcomplicate or push repairs or maintenance into the field that seems unobtainable. A thread a few days ago, a bloke changing handlebars was a great example for this.
  16. Bugger, I'm busy on the 10th. Going to a music festival up Mount Buller.

As for the tools debate and if it's worth it or not, really I just want to be able to do a minor service (oil change, but of a look over tho make sure the rest is OK, you know basic maintanance), I don't think I need any complicated tools for that. I'll still want to take it to a mechanic for any big projects.

And I doubt I'll need a torque wrench. I'd struggle to strip a bolt made of lead.

PS. All the bike's previous services have mechanic's stamps in the book and I've put about 6000km on her in the year that I've had her.
  17. Don't stress we can knock over an oil change and general look over after work. I doubt there will be any special tools required for an oil change on the GPX. If you haven't done the oil in 12 months then I'd suggest we need to do that sooner rather than later. We'll check out the chain and adjust if required.

How about next Tuesday or Wednesday after 5pm? You'll need to pickup oil, an oil filter and a crush washer before hand. That's all you'll need to bring. Maybe even pick up the parts from City West Yamaha on the way through (only a few kms from my house). Make sure you ring a couple of days before and ask if they have suitable stock.
  18. Next Wednesday sounds good to me. Shall we say 5:30? You can e-mail me your address if you like at tigerinthemist[at]gmail[dot]com.

Oil and oil filter I understand, but I have no idea what a crush washer is. I guess I can find out when I go to pick one up though.

Although probably not necessary for a simple oil change, I have downloaded the supplementary service manual for the bike but I can't find a copy of the base manual.
  19. No special tools for an oil change on a gpx. The fairing removal is easy peazy too.

While you're at it, best to look at the air filter and other basics (e.g. brakes)

I recall the plugs being a bit of biatch to get to though...

Port, she could pick up the bits from Race Replica on the way through... they are a Kwaka dealership afterall... 9318004 :)
  20. Rob, true, race rep will also give a discount for paid NR members too. I was thinking about TG having to ride with 4/5L of oil on the back of the GPX.

Outline of an oil change on the GPX

Crush washer = sump plug washer.