Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can someone in Melb plz help me clean my carbs?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by tailsy, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Hi, how are we all?

I ran out of petrol last night and had to walk my bike home. When I got home, I filled it up with some more petrol and the bike now won't start/stay on even with full throttle.

I'm not sure what the problem is. It is not backfiring... (yet?)

I think the carbies need to be cleaned. Can someone please come over and help me clean them so I'd be able to do it in the future by myself? I would greatly appreciate it.

My bike is a 1993 CBR250RR Repsol.
  2. What suburb of Melbourne?
  3. Near Chadstone shopping centre. Are you keen please? :) I'd really appreciate it.
  4. Tired. Sometimes life's just one damn thing after another (ODTAA), ya know?

When it ran out of petrol you prolly sucked down some air into the fuel lines. Leave the fuel selector switch on prime for a few minutes to let some fuel drain down into the lines. Then full choke, hold the throttle open for a second to let some fuel drain into the carburettor's float bowls, release throttle, then hit the starter. When cranking, I generally go for three to five seconds cranking, ten or more seconds recovery period for the battery. DON'T KILL THE BATTERY!

If this doesn't work, the last hundred mls of fuel in your tank prolly had crap in it, so you'll have to drain the float bowls for each carburettor. I don't have a guide for your bike but here's one for mine.

If that doesn't work, I'm out of advice. :p
  5. Sorry, I'm dumb and bad with bikes. What do you mean by setting the fuel selector to prime please? I only have on, off and reserve.
  6. Please describe more of what happens when you try to start it.
    Exact steps.
  7. I'm not good at describing it. I pull the throttle out, press the button and it makes noises and tries to start but won't idle? I really don't know how to describe it. :(
  8. Sorry mate, so used to my own bike, doesn't sound like you have a "prime".

Sounds like you need real rather than virtual help. :)
  9. bet you 50 bucks all you need to do is fill up with petrol.

same thing happened with me once..
  10. I ran out of fuel once and killed a plug.
    The prime or PRI position everone speaks of id guess bypasses the vacumn feed and fills the bowls up manualy. I'd try holding the starter a little longer might prime itelf.