Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can someone help me with computer anti virus protection

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Johnny O, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Hey Guy's, As I am hopeless with computers, is there anyone who wouldn't mind helping me update my computer with some up to date anti virus programs, thanks.

2. Adaware is free.
  3. You could give "Windows Live OneCare safety scanner" a go. Just fire up IE and point your browser at http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm?s_cid=sah/?s_cid=sah.

It performs a once off scan of your computer without installing annoying anti-virus programs that tend to slow down your PC. The down side is that you have to be a bit more vigilant with your day to day usage (e.g. don't run hotboobs.jpg.exe etc)...

Otherwise, as Dougz said, FreeAVG is a pretty good free solution...
  4. on my systems I pair AVG Free with SuperAntiSpyware Pro. Never had a problem. Adaware is a good program, but SASP is not as bloated.
  5. +1 to Thera's suggestions

And, in case you didn't get the memo, 'OneCare' must always be pronounced with a French accent.
  6. JO, everyone will have different opinions, and you'll probably want to go for a free one, they can be good, but i've head the newer AVG is bloated as it scans every link on a webpage for safety's sake, when you may not even click on it....

I personally use NOD32 and have for years, but it is a paid for solution (well, supposed to be).
  7. The problem is that the virus creators are always one step ahead of the antil viral mobs.
  8. Yeah, so turn off your computer, lock all your windows and doors, and hide under your bed.......... beware the terrorists.

AVG + 1, if you want to go down the other path.
  9. There are free online Anti Virus solutions aswell. A quick google will give you them. You can disable the link scanning in avg, but realistically, unless your going to some very dodgy sites you shouldn't have to much risk. Then again Places like facebook can be a risk at times as well. SAS has a free version, the pro is cheap and gains you lifetime subscriptions. I have honestly thought about buying the full version of AVG. My full version SASP is currently spread around my 3 desktops and 4 laptop. I cannot fault it, and it will get rid of more of the problematic spyware then Adaware, at least in my experience, either using the free or paid version.
  10. :shock: everyone must still be in bed; no-one's yet come on with the "Buy a Mac" mantra :shock:.
  11. Good idea, download linux for free!

But if you wanna stay with windoze then AVG or Avast are the 2 I have used. Oh and common sense if a good one.
  12. firewall is your friend
  13. Thanks guys, I'll try a few things.
  14. firewall's do very little. Relying on a firewall to prevent your computer getting a virus is like trying to fend of a million ants with a feather.

A Firewall is not an AV/Spyware solution. Most Modems have it built in anyway and on by default.
  15. They do different things, and for a full security spectrum you need all three:

Firewalls - stop malicious incoming and outgoing connections to your computer. Those connections sometimes deliver viruses or are initiated by viruses, but a firewall is not primarily meant to stop viruses. What it *can* protect you from is having your computer 'zombied' and used to send spam or conducted 'denial of services' attacks - and it can also protect you from malicious people storing kiddie pr0n on your computer...

Windows (XP forward) includes a built-in firewall. Like most things Microsoft makes, it's kind of annoying - tends to block online games you're trying to play without really telling you - but if you're not using a broadband modem/router with a built-in firewall, probably worth keeping the Windows one switched on and putting up with the hassle.

The other alternative is a software firewall. Haven't tried one for a while, but ZoneAlarm is well known and I found it good when I did use it.

Antivirus - pretty self-explanatory: tries to stop viruses (self-replicating malicious programs) getting in by scanning incoming traffic, and tries to remove them if they do get in.

Lots of alternatives, several free. I'd avoid Symantec/Norton products as bloated, intrusive, expensive and likely to slow your computer down. AVG Free is my personal fave.

Anti-spyware - tries to do the same kind of job, but for spyware programs that will share information you don't want shared, give you popup ads and other annoyances and slow your computer down.

I used to swear by the combination of Lavasoft Adaware and Spybot: Search and Destroy, but am a recent convert to SuperAntiSpyware.

Couple of notes:

1. There are quite a few spyware programs out there that masquerade as antispyware programs, so just picking a random free one to download and install is a Bad Idea.

2. SuperAntiSpyware is recommended by MajorGeeks.com, which I trust. MajorGeeks is also the key web site you need to know about if you *do* get a virus and don't want to pay a computer shop hundreds to get rid of it. Excellent resources and step-by-step instructions.

Anyway, bottom line is, a Windows machine hooked to the net without protection is likely to be infected in literally minutes. And a full security solutions needs all three branches - firewall, antivirus and antispyware.
  16. we used the free version of AVG till i got too lazy renewing it after trial periods and just paid for the full avg system , it works great doesnt slow anything so i'd add plus 1 to avg
  17. +1 for AVG. Great Anti virus and the best bit is it's free.
  18. Don't buy a mac!

I use a combination of: Avast Antivirus, Ccleaner, & Malwarebytes anti malware.

All are free all are very good. AVG is very good also. Yet to have a any bad stuff get in.

Good luck!
  19. Hey Johnny, Do you have internet with Optus?