Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can someone explain to me why..........

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by mischiefmaka, Nov 24, 2009.

1. My bike doesnt have a fuel Gage?? wtf is up with that?:-s

Id like to see a little light that tells me what gear im in too lol but thats probably asking a bit much :rofl:

The fuel gage question is a serious one tho ,very interested in the answer .... is there a reason for this vital instrument being absent on my bike? is this a brand/make thing or are all bikes void of the fuel gage?

2. Many of the older bikes are absent of these contraptions. Not sure why, but on some bikes with them, they are quite innacurate. My bike just has a fuel light and half the time I can't tell if the damn thing is on or off because the sun glare makes it look like its lit up all the time!

Most riders get used to counting kilometres. You zero out your kays each time you fill up and you get an idea of what your fuel range is by riding it out till your light comes up or you hit reserve.
  3. why do you need a fuel gauge??? just reset the odo everytime you fill up.

as for gear indicators, it's the worse thing i have on my bike, if i could remove it i would....i actually tape it up when i ride now as i just find them too distracting and find i have l have shifted into a gear number (speed number) vs corner as opposed to how i used to ride which was by more what feels like the right gear, engine noise, throttle response etc ](*,)

don't do it[-(
  4. Dont worry, all bikes come with the cough and splutter warning system to tell you when to fill up :LOL:
  5. +1 My fuel gauge is my odometer ;)
  6. Firstly fuel gauges are difficult to engineer in a vehicle where the petrol moves all around the place.

Secondly they are pretty vague.

You will find you have a reserve tap. Bikes are designed to be ridden until the you need the reserve and then you find a station soon after you switch it on.

Now having a bike with a warning light, I would say I prefer the reserve system. There could be easily a 10km window of when the light comes oneand this can be more if I'm concentrating on my riding.

This window is even wider with a gauge.

At least with a reserve you know exactly when it came on and experience will tell you how long you have until you are completely out.
  7. I use my fuel gauge as a reminder to check the odometer. >250km = fill her up time, although I should go to 350km, I do not have a reserve. on the TTR250 I run it until the reserve kicks in then swap it over. Fortunately it doesn't get to far from where the petrol lives.
  8. My bike isnt old...its last years model

Yeah resetting the odometer is what ive been doing but i wondered why she didnt just have a Gage....Wondered if there was any reason why they didnt come standard, but I guess there isnt ...

Stewy my comment about the gear lights was a joke, i didnt realise some bikes actually have them lol...learning heaps every day
  9. Very good point!
  10. You'll find that bikes in general aren't as idiot proof as modern cars. There's less oil, less water, less fuel, and less air in the tyres. Keep an eye on all of them, or you'll be walking or worse.
  11. Yeah i was actually suprised when i went for my learners that they didnt have any questions that were related towards bike " upkeep" i would have assumed that pretty important to the safety of the bike and hence the rider...

Perhaps a list here somewhere with what newbies should check on their bikes on a weekly/fortnightly basis would be useful?
  12. i'm sure there already is.
  13. i don't think many bikes come with them as standard, maybe goldwings...it's a after market part you can get but imo don't waste the money unless you need it for something specific
  14. Actually gear position indicators are popping up all over the place. Most of the newer supersports/superbikes have the circuitry/gearbox sensors to tap into (requiring an aftermarket LCD). A few even have the read-outs (e.g. ZX6R).

As to fuel gauges, most bikes don't have them. But many of the newer ones do have low fuel lights. When mine hits reserve (at 3.3L), it activates a separate trip counter which gives me a rough indication of how much fuel I have left.
  15. my bike has instant fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, trip time, top speed, average speed, gear indicator, and a heap of other fancy shit, guess what, no fuel gauge. Just a light saying go get some petrol.

Use the trip kilometer thingo to know how much you've used. It'll take a little getting used to, but every time you fill up, take note of how many kilometers you did on that tank and note how many litres you put in. Using the kilometers for fuel gauging is very handy on big rides as you know how far you can go then until you need petrol. I.e. group ride at a stop off point, ask the leader, "how far till petrol?", "100 kay's!" sweet I can make it, etc etc...
  16. I know this is being pedantic, but the re-setting of an odometer is a serious offense. The re-setting of a tripmeter is OK however.

Most of my bikes didn't even have that... just a reserve tap.
  17. titus, yep my bad meant the tripmeter
  18. My bike has a fuel gauge that is surprisingly accurate (analog dial and heaps more accurate than the digital one of the later model VFR800), and a fuel warning light as well.

I'd LOVE a gear position indicator. My engine is so torquey and flexible that I am constantly finding myself trying to upshift because the bike is still pulling hard and I figure it must still be in 4th or 5th. However, inevitably it is already in top. I' love one.
  19. My early 80's BMW R65LS has neither - but my Katana (same vintage and same design company) has both a fuel gauge and a gear position indicator.
  20. Yeah, Suzuki were very keen on gear position indicators in the 70s and 80s. Unfortunately they tended to read all gears at once after a couple of British winters......

Couple of tips on fuel reserve use. It's worth practicing finding the fuel tap and turning it to reserve whilst seated on the bike so you know where it is ad which way it goes when you need it on the road. If you're quick you can catch it before you've lost much speed, although bikes vary. Some will cough and splutter for a while before dying, others will cut stone dead.

The other important point is to make it a habit, every time you fill up, to make sure the tap is back in the "main" position, so you won't be caught out with a dry tank.