Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

WA Can i modify and certify a stat write off frame

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Rowles081, Oct 19, 2015.

?
  1. no

50.0%
  2. yes

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. am i able to modify a statutory written off frame , change the rake angle a few degrees and other small mods to frame?

if anyone could direct me to a fabricating company with engineers to sign off would be appreciated , shoul a modification be viable.

2.  Top
  3. I'm pretty sure that if it's a Stat Write Off, that's it; the identity (the VIN, basically) can never be used again. That is rather the point of a Stat Write-Off, after all. Could be wrong, though, as it's now 9 years since I worked for the WA DoT.

I guess you could use chunks of the frame as part of a new build and, if the mods were extensive enough, claim that they were just raw material in the same way as new steel bought in would be. But why would you? The amount of work needed so you could plausibly argue the point wouldn't be far shy of building a frame from scratch (or buying one in) so you might as well use proper new material rather than bent old crap.

How about ringing the DoT, who will actually know the answer, rather than asking NR who will give you several different ones, any or all of which are likely to be wrong (including mine).

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Hey Mate how are you, new to this site just following an interst of mine hope to learn and grow as a rider

5. Thanks for your Advice i shall call the DoT and see what information they can give myself , i asked NR for the specific reason i am just seeking input from people for ideas, thanks for your guidance in telling me to call the DoT,

6. Thank you for the PDF this helps give me more of an idea on what i need to do, very constructive thank you

• Like Like x 1