Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can I get a free courtesy bike?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by v-petn, Feb 17, 2012.

1. My daytona was reversed into by a van this morning at the petrol station. He's insured with aami and I've got all his details...

I've got full comprehensive insurance with NRMA but I don't have the bike hire option.

I've lodged a claim with my insuranace company. I asked them about hiring a motorcycle while it's getting repaired and having aami pay for it... he said it should be fine and that they can try and retrieve the money in which I've spent on a hired biked... No gurantee though

Anyone been in this situation and was able to claim the hire cost back? Don't want to spend money on a hired bike when I would be able to get it back.
  2. You have 2 options
    1) hire the bike and ask your insurer to try and recover the cost from AAMI
    2) hire the bike and lodge your reimbursement claim directly with AAMI
    The problem with both options is that if the AAMi client does not proceed with their claim, or does not pay their excess then you will not be able to recover from AAMI. Also, AAMI will not pay out until your bike is repaired and a claim lodged with them for YOUR cost of repairs. This only happens after NRMA is invoiced by the repairer.
    Make sure that what you hire is similar to your own bike, and remember you can only claim for the period that your bike is actually off the road. Also, ensure that AAMI has accepted liability. Liability questions are not as clear cut as you may think!
    Good luck.
  3. When our car was reversed into we didn't go through our insurance. We went through a lawyer and claimed a hire car cost as well. It only took a few days for the claim to be approved by the other guy's insurance.

4. What's the advantage to doing it this way, Tony? Were you able to have your lawers fees reimbursed as part of the claim?

5. ^^^ X 2. Why pay insurance if you won't use it in that scenario?

v-petn - Get your insurer to forward you confirmation of AAMI accepting liability. Then you can hire a vehicle similar to the one you have and send your insurer the bill for the time your bike is off the road, and instruct them to fwd it to AAMI.
  6. Because if you drive over some ice on the road, lose grip, go off the side of a hill into a tree and total your car, as long as your car was road worthy at the time leading up to the incident, you're covered.
  7. thanks for the replies guys...

Well the guy admitted fault to my insurer but he said he would rather settle it without contacting aami... how should I proceed? Not sure how much damage there is... Front fender is damage and side stand is bent so bike is leaning a lot more than it should... Could bemore but I cannot see so not sure how long it would take to fix
  8. Check the forks are straight.. Take it to a good mechanic and have them look over it thoroughly
  9. Normal practice in this situation would be to get 2 quotes and send copies of them to him. As you have already been in touch with your insurer (NRMA), why don't you ring them put the scenario past them. Surely you can lean on their experience/expertise considering you're paying them for a comprehensive policy.

Bike repairs can end up a whole lot more expensive than expected. Better to have NRMA aware/involved from the start rather than find out the at-fault party baulks at the costs.
  10. I think you'll find that bike hire is substantially more expensive than car hire and whilst you're entitled to reasonable expenses it might be difficult to actually get the extra dollars for bike hire over what car hire would cost.
  11. What if the OP'er didn't have car license?
  12. I'm clearly missing something here... He was talking about his car being reversed in to - Not going off the side of a hill and totaling his car.
  13. The person claiming for replacement transport has an obligation to minimize the cost of the replacement transport as far as practicable.

That might mean using public transport or taxis or car hire rather than bike hire or it might mean that the OP would only be paid rates applicable to those options rather than the (generally) several hundred dollars a day that bike hire costs.

Look... I'm not supporting that view point (I reckon it sucks), I'm just trying to warn the OP to be careful so that they don't end up with an unexpected and not totally claimable bill for bike hire.
  14. thanks for the replies guys...

Just to clarify, I do have a car licence but it's not practical for me to drive into sydney cbd. I'll have to pay for parking etc...

Yeah I had a look and bike hire is expensive... at least $150 per day maybe more if I was to get something similar to my daytona...
  15. I interpreted your comment as "why have insurance when you will just go through a lawyer if anything happens anyway?", ie, one going through a lawyer all the time as the situation. No lawyer is going to get you a payout for going off the side of a hill. Classic case of things misinterpreted over the internet, sometimes the lack of inflection, tone of voice, body language and facial expression can make it hard to correctly interpret a comment over the internet.
  16. Ah whoops! My statement was meant to read: What's the point of buying insurance if you won't use it? Why use a lawyer when you've bought insurance and your insurer will do it for free?

Also - There are at least 2 sections of the Insurance Contracts Act (Section 54 being one of them) which would be used in that situation of the "car off cliff" above to force the insurer to pay out. There are a couple of caveats to this (like the car not being deliberately un-roadworthy, and the person not deliberately driving off the cliff).

A good insurance broker is worth more than a lawyer in this instance (lots cheaper too!)
  17. Yeah - that is how I interpreted your comment... so I'll expand on my previous comment by saying that an insurance company will cover you for situations which a lawyer will not be able to get you out of... for example, slipping over some ice on the road and falling off a hill side into a tree.
    Of course I agree with your second point (why use a lawyer when you have insurance), that's a no-brainer.
  18. Some would say neither are worth it really. :p

But that is an insurers point of view. hehe
  19. Not sure if this is relevant for motorcycles but a friend had his car all but totaled while parked - ie completely not at fault. insurance co elected to repair rather than replace but it took almost 3 months (had to get parts from o'seas) he found out less than two weeks before the repair was completed that eventhough he did not have any courtesy car clause or option selected in his policy, he was nevertheless entitled to a car for the duration of the repairs - and due to his car being an almost luxury euro, was directed to a brokering firm that provided him with an audi free of charge (less a $500 security deposit) the other parties insurance co ultimately paid for the rental.

He was told about this by a friend of his in the insurance industry and it wasn't until he specifically mentioned it point blank to his insurance company that they gave him the contact details of the brokering outfit that provide the car. basically the insurance firms do not freely offer this information to customers as they look out for each other in that respect.

Short version - you are not at fault so are therefore entitled to a vehicle - but a motorbike? Hmmm...
  20. Not true on this point. If an insurer can get another insurer to pay for something, then they go in all guns blazing. Few people dislike insurance companies more than competing insurance companies.